Vegetables may fight cancer cells

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

More of that red chili pepper in the diet may help prevent cancer.

A team of researchers at… More of that red chili pepper in the diet may help prevent cancer.

A team of researchers at Pitt’s School of Medicine, led by Dr. Sanjay K. Srivastava, studied two types of cancer with low survival rates (ovarian and pancreatic) and found that some vegetables, like broccoli, and some spices, such as red chili pepper, can slow or prevent the growth of cancerous tumor cells.

The group discovered that capsaicin — an ingredient in the chili pepper that previously was known to prevent indigestion — disrupts the growth of cancerous cells and induces the death of cancerous cells in pancreatic cancer.

Joseph Hagerty, a senior computer science major, did not know about the positive benefits of the spices and vegetables.

“It’s great to know that a common vegetable like broccoli can potentially save a life over the long run,” he said. “Chili peppers actually make me gag, but I’ll definitely make an attempt to eat more of them.”

The study also concluded that an ingredient in broccoli helps fight ovarian cancer. The component found in the vegetable helps to slow the activity of a chemical in cancer cells that is supposed to protect the cell. The treatment of ovarian cancer is often complicated because of late detection.

Moderate consumption of these cancer-fighting agents is enough to make a difference; the studies suggest that the levels needed to fight the cancers may be achieved through a regular, healthy diet.

Still, some Pitt students had little or no knowledge of the healing power of vegetables, and some won’t heed the advice of Srivastava’s research.

“I’m not a fan of most vegetables, especially broccoli,” said Adam Neil, a junior majoring in mechanical engineering. “The research is a breakthrough for new treatments in cancer, but I doubt it will make me eat more broccoli.”

According to the American Cancer Society, approximately one in every 57 women was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in the United States in 2004. Almost half of those cases were fatal.

Studies of pancreatic cancer produced similar results. An estimated 31,860 new cases were reported in 2004 in the United States. A large majority became fatal.