State Sen. pushes meth lab bill

By CHRISMAS BAILEY

With hopes of curbing the production of methamphetamine, one state senator introduced a bill… With hopes of curbing the production of methamphetamine, one state senator introduced a bill that would create more strict guidelines for drugstores in Pennsylvania.

Methamphetamine, an illegal narcotic also known as crank, speed and crystal, is produced by breaking down over-the-counter medicines that contain pseudoephedrine and ephedrine. Many decongestant medications and basic cold remedies, such as Sudafed and Tylenol Cold, contain ingredients that can be broken down and made into meth.

State Senator Richard A. Kasunic modeled the legislation on similar laws in Oklahoma that regulate the purchase of over-the-counter medicine.

“We’ve seen the number of meth labs skyrocket,” said Steve DeFrank, Kasunic’s chief of staff.

DeFrank explained that less than 20 labs were found in Pennsylvania in 2001, but that the number jumped to 128 last year. He also noted that those figures only represent the number of labs found, and may not include all the sites that currently operate.

DeFrank said there is a difference between fighting the trafficking of cocaine and the production of methamphetamine. Cocaine is made from plants that must be smuggled into the United States or grown illegally. One way of inhibiting that type of business is to tighten border security. With meth, which can be produced from legal and obtainable ingredients, it is more difficult to control, DeFrank said.

“Meth is different from other drugs because it is purely synthetic. It is manufactured,” he added.

Despite the fact that it is not legally required, some pharmacies have already taken action to discourage improper use of certain medications. CVS Pharmacy will keep specific products behind the counter beginning in July. Rite Aid has already begun to do so.

In addition to keeping products behind the counter, Kasunic’s legislation would limit their sales to no more than nine grams of over-the-counter medicines containing pseudoephedrine or ephedrine per person each month. Additionally, purchasers would have to prove that they are at least 18 years old. Vendors would have to keep a record of the buyer’s name and address, the date of sale and the amount sold.

Kasunic said he proposed the bill not only in response to the dangers of meth itself, but also to prevent the environmental and physical threats posed by underground meth laboratories.

The production of one pound of meth creates five to seven pounds of toxic waste, according to the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. Another report, from a congressional caucus on methamphetamine, said 104 meth labs exploded in 1999, some of which resulted in serious injury or death.

With 17 other state senators co-sponsoring the bill, it is still in committee for the 2005-2006 session. It has a chance of becoming a law until Nov. 30, 2006. DeFrank said only 1 to 2 percent of bills introduced are enacted, but the bill will be reintroduced in 2007 if it is not picked up during the current session.