Screech has graduated to stand-up comedy

By JOHN NIGRO

For those of you seeking a flashback to the early ’90s, buy a ticket to see Dustin Diamond at… For those of you seeking a flashback to the early ’90s, buy a ticket to see Dustin Diamond at the Pittsburgh Improv. If the name doesn’t ring a bell, perhaps his more famous identity will — Screech.

Yes, the annoying geek from NBC’s famed sitcom “Saved by the Bell” is doing stand-up comedy. With his tour, which is already in progress, this comedian is hoping to shed the type-cast image of the dorky high-schooler and spark a career separate from his original claim to fame.

Dustin Diamond’s career began, oddly enough, when he was spotted as a mannequin impersonator inside of a department store. This unconventional start did not hold back any future success, however, as Diamond scored several auditions while he was still an adolescent.

As most probably know, Diamond’s career reached its peak with his portrayal of a quirky nerd with the voice that earned him the nickname “Screech” on “Saved by the Bell.” When the teen-adored series ended after 10 seasons, Diamond decided to branch off from the notorious role and pursue both stand-up comedy and musical interests.

Diamond’s stand-up has struck a chord with college students across the country, many of whom remember watching Screech during their teens. As a musician, Diamond plays bass for the band “Salty the Pocketknife.” And he has even made cameos in a handful of films, including “Jane White is Sick and Twisted” and “Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star” with David Spade.

Even if you thought Diamond was extremely annoying as Screech, his stand-up should be worth a try. His comedy is more sophisticated these days, drawing sellout crowds at colleges and comedy clubs across the country.

Dustin Diamond will be cracking jokes at the Pittsburgh Improv April 7 through 10. To reserve tickets or for more information, call (412) 462-5233.