Panel huffs, puffs about smoking in bars

By LAURA JERPI

Non-smokers who work around smokers in restaurants and bars increase their chances of lung… Non-smokers who work around smokers in restaurants and bars increase their chances of lung cancer by 50 percent, according to Bill Godshall.

Godshall, who is the executive director of Smoke Free Pennsylvania, joined Shadyside Saloon owner John McKechnie and Dr. Bernard Goldstein, dean of Pitt’s Graduate School of Public Health, in a panel discussion about the potential effects of a public smoking ban in Pennsylvania. The American Constitutional Society sponsored the event, which was held Wednesday night in the Law Building.

Only 5 percent of the smoke from a cigarette goes directly to the smokers, leaving the other 95 percent to go into the environment, Godshall said.

“There’s no question that people are having an effect, because they are smelling smoke,” he said.

In Pennsylvania, 85 percent of residents work in smoke-free places, Godshall said.

Godshall believes that banning smoking from restaurants should not be such a big deal. He pointed out that patrons and owners are prohibited from doing many things in restaurants — for example, using fireworks, walking around in the nude, and permitting rats to run freely around the building.

Smoking inside restaurants and bars is not necessary, Godshall said, pointing out that there are substitutes for cigarettes, including skin patches and nicotine gum.

“There is no right to smoke. Federal courts don’t recognize it. No state court recognizes it,” Godshall said.

As someone who works in a bar, McKenchnie agreed with Godshall.

“Our bar is very smoke-friendly,” he said. “I would prefer a work environment that is smoke-free.”

McKechnie does not think that banning smoking from his bar would seriously affect his business. He hopes that, with time, not smoking inside would become second nature to his customers.

McKechnie began thinking about making the Shadyside Saloon smoke-free about six months ago, after a friend opened the smoke-free Red Room Cafe and Lounge in East Liberty.

There are a few other smoke-free establishments in Pittsburgh, including the Strip District’s Eleven, Mt. Washington’s Grandview Saloon, the South Side’s Hot Metal Grille and the Waterfront’s Improv Comedy Club.

But cigarette companies spend billions of dollars to convince restaurants and bars that they will lose a lot of money, and possibly even go bankrupt, if they ban smoking, according to Godshall.

Reminding the audience that the public adjusted to separate smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants, Godshall explained his idea that people will adjust to not smoking at all in restaurants and bars. Back in 1989, he said, Phillip Morris tried to convince restaurant and bar owners that having separate smoking and non-smoking sections would hurt business, too.

Godshall cited a survey in which 38 percent of Philadelphia suburbanites said they would be more likely to go into the city if smoking in bars and restaurants was banned. Only 8 percent said they would not want a ban on smoking in restaurants and bars, he said.

A smoking ban would also reflect well on Pittsburgh, said Goldstein, the dean of the Graduate School of Public Health. He added that visitors to Pittsburgh are often surprised patrons are permitted to smoke in nicer restaurants.

“It doesn’t help in terms of the image of Pittsburgh,” Goldstein said.