Small-town park offers big-time fun

By CHRISMAS BAILEY

Pennsylvania is a state divided. There are Republicans and Democrats, Steelers fans and Eagles… Pennsylvania is a state divided. There are Republicans and Democrats, Steelers fans and Eagles enthusiasts, pop drinkers and soda chuggers.

While some Pa. residents may have already sworn allegiance to Hersheypark or Kennywood, Knoebels Amusement Park and Resort offers visitors a home-grown hospitality that may be lacking in many commercialized theme parks.

In the face of larger name-brand competitors like Six Flags and Busch Gardens, Knoebels holds its own by maintaining what public relations representative Joe Muscat describes as simple, family-oriented business principles.

“We’re a family business and a family heritage, and we work very hard to protect and grow it,” said Buddy Knoebel, who co-owns the park along with his siblings Leanna and Dick.

“We find we do real well with the kiddies and the ‘tweens, but once they hit those older teen-age years, they become more brand-conscious,” Muscat said of the park’s younger clientele, and how the park may lose its appeal compared to larger, more well-known parks.

He added confidently that once those teen-agers grow older, they often return to Knoebels with their own children, continuing the family-oriented attitude of the park.

“When you’re looking for a calmer day and a more family experience, Knoebels may be the better place,” Muscat said.

One of the most alluring and unique aspects of Knoebels is its free admission and parking. Visitors who come to the park to ride rides may buy a ticket booklet or get their hands stamped to gain access to each attraction. This allows for family members to accompany children to the park, while not having to pay for attractions they will not ride.

“The goal is for that never to change,” Muscat said. “We don’t want to charge grandma and grandpa $40 when they’re only coming to watch the kiddies play.”

“It’s allowed us to thrive in the competition of bigger parks,” he added.

Straddling the boarder of Northumberland and Columbia counties, Knoebels was constructed gradually over the last century, starting out from humble beginnings. In 1828, Rev. Henry Knoebel purchased a plot of nearly 300 acres for just less than $1,000. During the beginning of the 20th century, the Knoebel estate became the destination for tallyhos — or hayrides — after which people would picnic. A tradition of recreation was born during this period as people relaxed, swam and bridge-jumped into the swimming hole.

Rev. Knoebel’s grandson, H.H. Knoebel, established a lumber business, which still plays an integral part in the operation of the park today. When the Knoebels first began building cottages and picnic facilities for their guests, they realized the best supply of lumber would come from their own stock, and the park remains the biggest client of Knoebels lumber.

Gradually, H.H. Knoebel began adding to the recreational aspect of his property, installing picnic facilities and selling popcorn and ice cream, among other simple goodies. Beginning in 1917, cottages were constructed for houseguests during the summer months — some in novel shapes like covered wagons and boats. Many of the houses were destroyed in 1972 by Hurricane Agnes, whose rains caused nearby Roaring Creek and Mugser’s Run to flood.

Knoebels Amusement Resort was officially opened in 1926, boasting its major attraction of the time: a swimming pool that opened on July 4 of the same year. In addition to the pool, the first ride in operation was a steam-powered merry-go-round which Knoebel purchased from Joe Gallagher. Knoebel replaced Gallagher’s with another from Riverside Park in New Jersey, the Grand Carousel, which has been in operation since the 1940s.

Open to the public for more than 75 years, Knoebels receives 1.2 to 1.3 million visits each year, according to Muscat, and has been featured on several Discovery Channel programs. The show “Dark Rides” showed Knoebels’ Haunted Mansion, while “Wild Rides II” and “Amusement Parks: Pursuit of Fun” showcased the park’s most famous attraction, a world-class roller-coaster, the Phoenix.

The Phoenix, an old-school wooden roller coaster, began as an attraction at Playland Park in San Antonio in the 1940s. After Playland closed in 1980, Knoebels claimed the roller coaster as its own. After three months of moving, the Phoenix was opened to Knoebels vistitors in June 1985. Though it may lack the extreme, high-speed, upside-down allure of many of today’s most popular roller coasters, the Phoenix continues to place on worldwide top-10 lists and remains a favorite of the local clientele.

Aside from the Phoenix, Knoebels boasts another wooden roller coaster, the Twister, the Giant Flume — a water ride — and the Grand Carousel, among numerous games and eateries that serve some Pa. favorites like pierogies and birch beer.

Knoebels opens for the season this Saturday.

“We’re fairly optimistic, but we’ll wait and see what the weather brings,” said Buddy Knoebel of the upcoming season.