Pickard sets more records for Pitt

By JACQUE SKOWVRON

After dropping the first game of a doubleheader by seven runs to Providence on Sunday… After dropping the first game of a doubleheader by seven runs to Providence on Sunday afternoon, the Pitt softball team fought back to take game two by the score of 3-2. This was the Panthers’ (17-21 overall, 4-4 Big East) second conference doubleheader of the weekend and the second time in two days a game extended into extra innings.

With the win against Providence, Pitt topped last year’s conference win total with 10 games remaining this season. In 2004, the Panthers went 3-15 in the Big East, and this year they have the potential to at least double last year’s win total.

“It’s a good feeling to know we’ve won this many so far,” head coach Michelle Phalen said about Big East wins this season. “The girls are playing hard and working together. We’re figuring things out and catching some good breaks.”

Providence 9, Pitt 2

Casey Pickard used a double in the top of the first to give Pitt two runs and earn her 79th and 80th career RBIs. With these two, Pickard broke yet another Panther record, passing former player Kelly Hulpa for career RBIs.

“Casey is an anchor player for us,” Phalen said. “You’d think it wouldn’t be nice to know you weren’t going to graduate four or five seniors, but losing Casey is going to be tough. She’s having a great season, one you hope any senior could have.”

The Panthers started off well offensively in the top of the first, connecting with the Friars’ starting pitcher Nicole Bartholomew. Junior Francesca DiMaria hit a lead-off double to right center field and moved to third on a single by center fielder Morgan Howard. Following a steal by Howard, Pickard then laced her record-breaking double past the Providence defense. But that was where the runs for the Panthers would stop in game one.

Pitt managed just one hit the rest of the way. Providence on the other hand, connected for a total of four home runs during the seven-inning matchup for a total of nine runs and 13 hits off Pitt starter Christa Hunter, who pitched five and one-third innings in the loss to move her record to 8-10.

Pitt 3, Providence 2

Strong pitching from sophomore Laura Belardinelli and offensive power from Hunter to take game two from Providence by a run. Belardinelli allowed just two earned runs, both in the bottom of the seventh, during the complete game victory. Hunter used her third home run of the season in the bottom of the eighth inning to give Pitt the edge in the extra-innings battle.

The Panthers picked up an early lead once again, scoring first in the second inning to make the game 1-0 in their favor. With two outs, sophomore Sheena Hellon doubled off Bartholomew and scored when catcher Heather Connor drove the ball into left field. Providence defender Michele Bowers fumbled the ball, resulting in a two-base error in Pitt’s favor.

The Panthers struck again in the fifth inning, scoring their second run off of relief pitcher Sara Surosky. Freshman Mary Hecker singled to lead off the inning and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by DiMaria.

Two outs later, Pickard reached base on another Providence error, moving Hecker to third base. Pitt then used aggressive base running to earn its second run when the Panthers successfully attempted a double steal. Pickard ran to second, distracting the Providence defense and allowing Hecker to take home for the 2-0 lead.

In the bottom of the seventh, a victory just three outs away, Belardinelli broke down just a little and gave up two runs to Providence to tie the game at two.

“We should’ve done a better job pitching to that player,” Phalen said in regards to the Providence shortstop, who earned her team’s only three hits of the game. “But I think the biggest play of the game was Laura’s ability to get the next batter to fly out to short.”

It didn’t take the Panthers long to change the score, though, as Hunter hit a home run to give Pitt the 3-2 win. Howard and Joey Scarf each had two hits to lead the Panthers in game two. Hellon was busy defensively with three put outs and seven assists.

“I had a few mini heart attacks after the bottom of the seventh,” Phalen said. “But the team had the will to win this game.”

Pitt will return home to Trees Field on Tuesday for a doubleheader against Robert Morris University starting at 2 p.m.