Track and field finds more success at two meets

By JOE BALESTRINO

Success never gets old to the Pitt track and field squads. Rather, it is the thing that drives… Success never gets old to the Pitt track and field squads. Rather, it is the thing that drives them.

With this perpetual motivation, the Panthers recorded numerous standout individual performances last weekend at the Sea Ray Relays and Bennie Benson Invitational.

The majority of the team traveled to the University of Tennessee to participate in the 39th annual, three-day Sea Ray Relays. The remaining athletes competed close to home at the first Bennie Benson Invitational. According to assistant coach James Troutmann, there were some unfortunate organizational problems, and consequently, the athletes’ results from the invite could not be confirmed.

Those athletes who competed in Tennessee faced their toughest challenge of the season, facing 1,350 nationally ranked men and women from 107 teams, some being post-collegiate competitors. Head coach Alonzo Webb took his team to the meet in order to compare it with the nation’s best and the Panthers fared well.

“This was the most competitive meet we have competed in so far this season,” Webb said. “I was just interested in seeing where we match up against other teams and where we can be competitive.”

The top men’s performer was Mike Long, who took first place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, clocking in at 9 minutes, 15.92 seconds. Senior Anthony Bonura took sixth place in the javelin throw, but more importantly, qualified for the NCAA Regional with a mark of 65.74 meters. Keith Higham also recorded an NCAA Regional-qualifying mark of 5.20 meters in the pole vault, tying a personal-best.

Sophomore Kareem Cousar surprised many in the 400-meters, breaking 49 seconds in his first race since suffering a hamstring injury. The men’s relays also ran “respectably” in their debut races, according to Webb. Some of the relay teams were unable to debut until this meet because of health issues.

On the women’s side, senior Tamara McGill placed third in the heptathlon event, giving her an NCAA Provisional-qualifying mark of 5,137 points. Senior Kimberly Lyles continued her season-long improvement by clocking in at less than 24 seconds in the 200-meters, qualifying her for the NCAA Regional.

The women’s relay teams ran especially well, with the 4×100-meter relay team recording an NCAA Regional-qualifying time of 45.30, giving them fourth place. By season’s end, Webb expects this particular relay team to run under 45 seconds to earn a chance to compete at nationals.

The 4×200-meter relay team captured fifth place, breaking the Pitt record for fastest time in the process. The 4×400-meter relay team of Martina Hallman, Kimberly Lyles, Julianna Reed and Lamoy Stephens ran their best race of the season by almost seven seconds.

“The 4×400 team finally ran at their potential,” Webb said. “It’s good that they are running this way now since we are quickly approaching the championship stretch.”

Webb expressed concern, however, that many of the relay teams have been sloppy with their baton exchanges, thus slowing down their overall times.

This weekend, the Panthers will travel compete in a scored meet against rival Penn State. Though four teams will compete, only Pitt and Penn State will be scored.

The meet could be a sign of things to come, as discussions have begun between Penn State head coach Harry Groves and Pitt’s Alonzo Webb about renewing the famed Pitt-Penn State rivalry by scheduling an annual meet between the two schools.