Rutgers rolls over Pitt, seniors play last home game

By KEITH WEHMEYER

A victory by the Pitt women’s basketball team, playing its final home game of the season,… A victory by the Pitt women’s basketball team, playing its final home game of the season, would have sent its seniors out in style. For more than a half it looked possible.

The Panthers led No. 9 Rutgers (22-5 overall, 13-2 Big East) 18-15 at halftime, but found themselves on the losing end of a 63-42 blowout Friday night at the Petersen Events Center. The second half was marred by poor free-throw shooting, a technical foul on head coach Agnus Berenato and an injury to freshmen center Marcedes Walker — all of which helped Rutgers hold a 48-24 advantage in the second half alone.

“I am proud that our team did not quit,” Berenato said. “I thought we held on through some adversity.”

Pitt (12-14, 4-11) held the Scarlet Knights to 21.9 percent shooting from the field in the first half.

“I thought that in the first half [Rutgers] struggled because our defense was exceptional,” Berenato said. “It was our best defensive performance of the season.”

Offensively, it was a different story, especially when the shots were taken from the free-throw line.

“Bottom line is free throws, free throws, free throws,” Berenato said. “You can’t compete with a team in the top 10 when you are shooting from the line the way we shot from the line. I addressed that to my team today and yesterday and the last several weeks. Shooting 37 percent is just really stressful.”

Pitt shot two-for-seven (28.6 percent) from the line in the first half, seven-for-17 (42.1 percent) in the second.

Following a 3-pointer by senior Amy Kunich, who led the Panthers with 15 points, Pitt held a 23-21 lead. However, with 13 minutes, 41 seconds remaining, Berenato was called for a technical foul when the ball went out of bounds near the Panthers’ bench.

“I didn’t say a word,” Berenato said. “I didn’t bounce the ball. I passed her the ball.”

Rutgers then went on an 8-1 run and outscored the Panthers 37-19 to finish the game.

With 10:08 remaining in the second half, Rutgers guard Essence Carson collided with Walker while driving to the hoop. Walker made her way to the bench, grimacing in pain and holding her right arm. She was unable to return and finished the game with six points and 10 rebounds.

The Panthers, now without their leading scorer, also lost a defensive presence in the paint with Walker’s injury.

“We wore down and became a little slower,” Berenato said. “We reached and fouled, and we put them on the line in the second half. I think that was a really big difference in the ball game.”

Unlike Pitt, Rutgers was able to knock down its free throws as the end of the game approached. The Scarlet Knights shot 15 of 20 from the line in the second half, 55.2 percent from the field. For the game, Rutgers shot 39.5 percent from the field, while Pitt made 37.7 percent of its shots.

Rutgers was led in scoring by junior Michelle Campbell, who scored a game-high 17 points. She also grabbed 11 rebounds.

The win puts Rutgers in sole possession of first place in the Big East, a game ahead of both Connecticut and Notre Dame.

Kunich, Morris and fellow senior Jessica Allen were honored prior to the game. Despite losing, Kunich looked positively upon the experience.

“It was great,” she said following the game. “This is the last time I am going to play at the Petersen and in front of my family. Because I am from Pittsburgh, I wanted to remember it and this is something I can remember.”

The Panthers close out the regular season tonight at Providence. Pitt defeated the Friars 63-47 at the Petersen Events Center on Feb. 19. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.