Pitt gymnastics take second place in tri-meet at Florida

By JACQUE SKOWVRON

In the final regular season meet of her career, senior Leila Tait received season-high scores… In the final regular season meet of her career, senior Leila Tait received season-high scores on all three events she competed in, to help the Pitt gymnastics team capture second place at its tri-meet in Gainesville, Fla. Tait, a co-captain of this year’s team and one of only two seniors, showed leadership and poise throughout the competition.

Tait led Pitt on the uneven bars, placing fourth and receiving a personal season-best score of 9.825 from the judges. She currently holds the Panthers’ all-time highest score on this event with a 9.900. Tait obtained this score last season during her junior year at a meet held at West Virginia University on Jan. 23, 2004.

Tait also scored season-highs on the vault and the balance beam with a 9.750 and a 9.825, respectively. Both scores were good enough to earn her a fifth-place finish in each event.

Winning the meet was host University of Florida, scoring 197.200 team points. This was a special victory for the Gators, who were able to send their seniors out with a win for their last home regular-season meet. The Panthers took second place with a team score of 192.550 and Yale followed behind Pitt, receiving 188.625 points.

While Pitt had an overall successful day, falling just hundredths of a point behind Florida gymnasts in all four events, the Panthers soared to new heights on the uneven bars, with five out of six gymnasts who competed in this event tying or setting new season-high scores.

Along with Tait, Kaitlin Harrison and Robyn Marszalek set season-best scores on the uneven bars, obtaining a 9.775 and a 9.725, respectively. Tying their season-high scores were Samantha DeBone, receiving a 9.75, and Lindsey Swan, who scored a 9.625.

Despite Pitt’s success in the event, it was the Florida gymnasts who captured the first four places on the uneven bars, with Breanne King scoring a 9.900 and capturing first place in the event.

Just as they had on the uneven bars, the Gators captured the first four places on the balance beam, with gymnast Erin Dooley impressing the judges for a high score of 9.925.

Tait, DeBone and Andrea Arlotta claimed the next three places in the event. DeBone scored a 9.750 and Arlotta recorded a 9.725.

Florida also occupied the top five places on the floor exercise, with Tiffany Murry and Savannah Evans tying for first with a score of 9.900.

Pitt again fell behind Florida with Marszalek, Arlotta and DeBone finishing in the top 10 in the floor exercise. DeBone earned Pitt’s top score on the floor with a score of 9.775.

Competing in the all-around for Pitt were Arlotta, Marszalek and Harrison. Arlotta finished the day with a score of 38.65 points, third in the all-around competition. DeBone took fourth with an all-around score of 38.550. Marszalek and Harrison finished close behind Arlotta and DeBone. Marszalek took sixth place with a 37.975, and Harrison claimed the seventh spot, scoring a 37.225.

The Panthers will be back in action competing at the East Atlantic Gymnastics League Championships at North Carolina State. The meet will take place on Friday, starting at 6 p.m. Last year, the Panthers finished fourth overall as a team in the EAGL Championships, with a score of 196.05.