Arlotta stands above rest again, Pitt takes second

By JAKE PANASEVICH

Sophomore Andrea Arlotta continued to carry Pitt’s gymnastics team Saturday as the Panthers… Sophomore Andrea Arlotta continued to carry Pitt’s gymnastics team Saturday as the Panthers finished second in the quad meet against Bowling Green, James Madison and Michigan State.

The Panthers (3-7 overall, 1-4 Eastern Atlantic Gymnastics League) earned 191.65 points, only to fall short of Michigan State’s (6-2) 194.025. Behind Pitt was Bowling Green (5-6) in third with 191.325 points, and finishing last was James Madison (1-7) with 185.075 points.

“We have been very competitive with Michigan State,” head coach Debbie Yohman said. “They’re just a little stronger than us.”

The Spartans achieved outstanding individual performances by Chayla Hill, who won the meet title in vault with a 9.800 and achieved a team-high score of 9.800 on the floor exercise. Teammates Sarah Alexander and Kristen Coleman also earned meet titles in beam and bars, respectively, both scoring 9.875.

Yohman said that because of the youthfulness of the team and the injuries Pitt has suffered, Michigan State is slightly stronger than the Panthers.

“A lot of teams would be frustrated,” Yohman said. “Our team keeps getting better and better.”

Arlotta led the Panthers once again, winning the overall competition with 38.750 points. She achieved second place with a season-high 9.850 on the uneven bars and tied for first place in the floor exercise with 9.825 points.

Arlotta, who has a torn ligament in her back, said the pain is getting worse.

“Somehow we will have to find a way to rest her,” Yohman said. “It will be hard to do.”

Yohman said that because Arlotta is so strong mentally and physically, the injury may only affect small aspects of her performance.

Sophomore Robyn Marszalek also joined the list of ailing Pitt gymnasts with an injured back. Her injury was serious enough to force her out of this meet with a questionable date of returning to competition.

“Robyn’s a competitor. She wants to be out there,” Yohman said.

Although injuries have frustrated the Panthers, they have also allowed many of the rookie gymnasts to step up and perform.

Freshmen standouts Samantha DeBone, Cassie Minick and Brittany Baldwin all contributed to Pitt’s second-place finish. DeBone marked a season-high score on bars with a 9.750. Minick tied for fourth-place with senior Leila Tait on bars with 9.725, along with Baldwin, who led Pitt on vault with a score of 9.525.

“This is absolutely the best team I’ve been on,” Tait said.

The veteran captain just recently returned from a concussion and said that in her case, the injury has just made her more motivated.

Yohman said the lineup is continually changing, and Pitt needs to perform consistently, no matter the circumstances.

“It’s a learning situation,” Yohman said. “It’s taking longer because of injuries.”

The Panthers will return to action Saturday for senior recognition night against George Washington and Wilson College. The meet begins at 7 p.m. at the Fitzgerald Field House.