Softball finishes second at weekend tournament

By JACQUE SKOWVRON

The Pitt softball team had a very successful weekend at the JMU Dukes Invitational in… The Pitt softball team had a very successful weekend at the JMU Dukes Invitational in Harrisonburg, Va.

Not only did the Panthers (11-14) finish the invitational with a 4-1 record, losing the championship game by only three runs, but they also broke two school records in a 17-1 victory over Morgan State Saturday afternoon.

Pitt 9, Morgan State 2

Valerie Mihalik used a two-run home run — the first of her collegiate career — in the fifth inning to help secure Pitt’s first victory of the JMU Dukes Invitational over Morgan State (1-12).

Christa Hunter led the Panthers with three hits on the day, while Morgan Howard, Joey Scarf, Heather Connor and Mihalik each had two hits. Mihalik finished with a season-best three RBIs.

Making her first collegiate start, freshman Leanne McCarron also contributed to the win with an RBI single in the first inning.

Starting pitcher Meghan Bostick earned her first victory of the season with nine strikeouts in five innings. She gave up six hits and held the Bears to only two runs. Laura Belardinelli relieved Bostick in the sixth to finish the game with two scoreless innings and three strikeouts.

Pitt 3, James Madison 1

With the game tied and two outs in the fifth inning, Scarf drove an RBI single into the outfield gap to score third baseman Mary Hecker for the eventual winning run.

Hunter gave up three hits and one run in the first inning to the Dukes (10-13), but finished strong with six shutout innings to help the Panthers earn their third victory in a row and their second of the day.

Pitt erased its one-run deficit by scoring in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings. Senior Casey Pickard had a one-out single that was followed by a single from Hunter. With two on, Lisa McGregor came through with her second double of the season in the fourth to score Pickard and tie the game at one.

The Panthers added an insurance run in the sixth, taking advantage of two errors committed by the Dukes and an RBI single by Hecker. Both Hecker and Pickard finished the game with two hits.

Pitt 6, Robert Morris 1

In a three-hit, four-RBI performance Saturday afternoon, Pitt’s Hunter showed she can do damage to an opposing team even when she is not starting on the mound as Pitt rolled past the Colonials for its fourth straight win.

Belardinelli pitched six strong innings, allowing just four hits and one run for her third win of the season. Hunter relieved her in the seventh inning, striking out one to finish off Robert Morris (7-6).

Howard led off the game with a single and eventually scored when Hunter drove in Pitt’s first runs of the game with a two-run double early in the first inning.

In the sixth inning, Howard once again reached base with a one-out single. Pickard then drew a two-out walk, and Hunter came through again with another two-run double to give her a career-high four RBIs. Hunter and Howard combined for six of the Panthers’ 10 hits.

Pitt 17, Morgan State 1

For the second time in the JMU Dukes Invitational, the Panthers defeated Morgan State, but this time they did so in record-setting fashion.

Pickard helped the Panthers to victory with her 12th career home run, moving her to third place in the Pitt record books.

Scoring 17 and winning by a 16-run margin, the Panthers broke two school records — most runs scored and largest margin of victory. Both of the old marks were 15 in a 2003 win over Robert Morris.

Belardinelli won her second straight game to help extend Pitt’s winning streak to five games. Belardinelli pitched a complete game, allowing just two hits and one unearned run while striking out five.

Eight different players contributed to Pitt’s 10 hits. Scarf and Hunter had two hits apiece — Scarf with two singles and one RBI and Hunter with two doubles and two RBIs.

With this win, the Panthers advanced to the championship game Sunday afternoon against James Madison.

James Madison 5, Pitt 1

The Dukes ended Pitt’s five-game winning streak and captured the championship game as they rolled to a four-run win over the Panthers.

Hunter gave up three early runs in the first inning and two more insurance runs later in the sixth. She allowed seven hits and five runs in five and one-third innings before sophomore Meghan Bostick came in as relief. Bostick finished the game, allowing just one hit and striking out three.

Pitt scored its only run of the game in the second inning off an RBI single from freshman Jessica Dignon but was unable to muster any offensive power to pull off the win.

The Panthers will be back in action Wednesday at Robert Morris for a doubleheader.