Walker helps Pitt end losing streak

By MATT GRUBA

On Saturday against Providence, for the first time since Big East play began this season, the… On Saturday against Providence, for the first time since Big East play began this season, the Pitt women’s basketball team entered a game as a heavy favorite. They showed why by never trailing en route to a 63-47 win over the Friars.

Marcedes Walker paced the Panthers (12-12 overall, 4-9 Big East) with her ninth double-double of the season, scoring 23 points and grabbing 16 rebounds. Allisha Morris and Vika Sholokhova both added 11 points.

For Providence (1-23, 0-13), Shauna Snyder poured in 21 points. The loss was the 35th consecutive defeat in Big East play for the Friars, who last won in conference on Feb. 8, 2003, at home against Pitt.

“[Last Saturday at] St. John’s on the road, was the best we played all year, I thought. And then we came back here [Wednesday], and we played West Virginia, and to me, that was the best we played. Today, I feel absolutely this was the best, and at the end of the season, that’s what you want,” head coach Agnus Berenato said.

Pitt controlled the game from start to finish, using full-court pressure to disrupt Providence’s ball-handlers. After a 6-0 Providence run tied the game at 13, the Panthers kicked it into high gear, going on a 14-0 run of their own. Capping that run was the play of Sholokhova, who came off the bench for only the fifth time all season.

Sholokhova showed her versatility by scoring the final nine points of the run from a variety of spots on the court — a 3-pointer, a transition layup, a three-point play on an offensive rebound, and one of two free throws to close out her scoring outburst.

Despite coming off the bench, Sholokhova played starter’s minutes, as Berenato shortened her bench, giving 198 of the 200 court minutes to seven players.

“I chose to use seven players because I was very disappointed after the West Virginia game and I was disappointed in some of our rotations,” Berenato said. “I feel that maybe people automatically assume they’re going to get in, but I think when you get in, you need to be accountable for your actions.”

The seven-player rotation did not put the Panthers at any disadvantage, as Providence only dressed eight players for the game.

One noticeable absence from the Pitt lineup was second-leading scorer Katie Histed, who Berenato talked about after the game. Histed was in uniform for the game, and Berenato was clear to point out that she was not suspended.

“I made a decision a couple days ago that Katie would not play, simply due to a situation that happened that was unbecoming of a Panther student athlete,” she said.

The Panthers not only controlled the game through defensive pressure — forcing 21 Providence turnovers — but also on the interior, where they dominated the boards with a 44-25 advantage. Twenty-one of Pitt’s 44 rebounds were on the offensive end, including eight of Walker’s.

Berenato ended with her praise for her freshman star, saying Walker’s performance determines whether or not Pitt can compete in games. Pitt travels to Connecticut for a game Tuesday night at 7 p.m. against the defending national champions, which Walker sounded prepared for.

“The first game I was looking more to pass, but this game I’ll be looking more to score,” Walker said. “I’m just going to take it up strong and not play into their game plan. I’m going to play my game, and hopefully come out with my 16 points, my 16 rebounds. However it happens, I’m just going to go out and play hard.”