Softball throws out season’s first pitch Saturday in Florida

By JACQUE SKOWVRON

At first glance, the roster of the 2005 Pitt softball team looks to be full of youth and… At first glance, the roster of the 2005 Pitt softball team looks to be full of youth and inexperience. But with further investigation, it’s evident that youth certainly does not mean inexperience.

Of the 20 players on the roster, 14 are sophomores or freshmen, but seven of those 20 are returning starters whose experience out-weighs Pitt’s youth.

“We are bringing back a lot of starters,” head coach Michelle Phalen said. “We knew what we needed to concentrate on [during the off season], and the girls responded well. These girls know what to expect.”

Last year, the Panthers finished with a 21-36 overall record and 3-15 in the Big East, which earned them an 11th-place finish for the season. Returning from that team is a strong middle infield. Junior Francesca DiMaria will start at second base, with sophomore Sheena Hellon to her right at the shortstop position.

Three-year starter Casey Pickard, the lone senior on the team, will once again be at first base for Pitt, adding to the strength of the infield. Third base will be played by one of two freshmen, Mary Hecker or Valerie Mihalik.

“Casey has emerged as a leader this year,” Phalen said. “She has put a lot of time into this program and is determined to leave as a winner.”

Also contributing experience on the field for Pitt will be two returning starters in the outfield. Left fielder Joey Scarf and former right fielder Morgan Howard, who will move over to center field for the upcoming season, will both be impacting the team’s performance. The new right fielder will either be junior Jessica Thomas, who has seen time as a starter in her previous two seasons, or freshman Jessica Dignon.

“This freshman class has blended in extremely well,” DiMaria said. “They have probably been one of the best classes. They work hard, and some of them may become starters.”

The pitching mound will also be a place Pitt can show its experience. Returning are both of the Panthers’ starting pitchers from last season, sophomores Laura Belardinelli and Meghan Bostick. Last year, as freshmen, these girls combined to start all 57 games for Pitt and will be counted on to improve with that year of experience behind them.

“We’ve had to concentrate on getting our pitchers better than they were last year,” Phalen said of her off-season work. “We plan on working a third pitcher into the rotation this season.”

That third starter could be junior Christa Hunter, who has served as the Panthers’ relief pitcher for the past two seasons. Sophomore Heather Connor is expected to move in behind the plate at the catcher position. Connor hit .325 last season for Pitt as a freshman. Hecker may also see some time as a catcher.

During the off-season, the Panthers have worked hard — lifting weights and staying in shape — and perfecting the skills they need in order to be a better team this year. Phalen said that her team’s practices throughout the off-season and preseason have gone really well.

“The new players are working hard and have done a good job preparing,” she said. “The energy on the team is good.”

Pitt hopes to use this energy to propel them into the Big East tournament. After three seasons of falling short, the Panthers are eagerly awaiting the start of a new season and a shot at the Big East title.

“That’s our main goal for the season, getting to the Big East conference tournament and winning,” DiMaria said, adding “and having fun, of course.”

The Panthers will open their eighth season this weekend at the Doubletree Classic, hosted by the Florida Atlantic University. Pitt is scheduled to play five games beginning tomorrow at 11 a.m. against Michigan. The Wolverines have already seen action in the 2005 season and are 3-1 with a 9-0 victory over No. 13 Oregon this past weekend.

Pitt will also face North Carolina State at 1 p.m. The Wolfpack has crammed 12 games into the past two weeks and is currently 10-2. On Saturday, the Panthers will face Ohio State and play the host school Florida Atlantic University. The Buckeyes, like the Panthers, will be beginning their season at the tournament, while the Owls are 11-1. Rutgers is a possible opponent for Pitt on Sunday, when placement games will take place.

The Panthers have had their two strongest starts the past two seasons, with a 4-3 start in 2003 and a 3-3 start in 2004. They look to improve on that this year.