Pearl praises husband’s courage, character

By JARED TRENT STONESIFER

Even in the face of adversity, hatred and imminent death, Daniel Pearl retained his core… Even in the face of adversity, hatred and imminent death, Daniel Pearl retained his core values of courage and strength.

His story is told by Mariane Pearl, the widow of this former Wall Street Journal reporter. She spoke Monday night at the Carnegie Music Hall about her book, “A Mighty Heart,” which tells the story of her husband, his capture by terrorists in Pakistan and the five weeks of a desperate manhunt that ensued.

“It was a mental war of desperation,” she said, recalling what she described as the most difficult period in her life.

She began her story by reminiscing about better times, talking about love and happiness, with a brilliant wedding in Normandy, and of time spent frantically running around Europe reporting. But the scene quickly shifted on Sept. 11, 2001.

Soon after the terrorist attacks, Daniel and Mariane arrived in Karachi, Pakistan, which is very close to Afghanistan and the ongoing war there. Acting on the promise of an exclusive interview with a powerful Muslim spiritual leader who had ties with Al-QaidaJK, Daniel Pearl was abducted and would never see Mariane again.

Mariane, who was pregnant at the time, explained the tireless process that came next: the development of an around-the-clock research team, the furious attempts to find the slightest information and the many sleepless nights.

She also described the moment she realized it all was over: when she watched a videotape released by the terrorists, showing in detail the murder of her husband.

“My first reaction was to run and seize an AK-47 to seek revenge,” she said. “I had to display more courage than I thought I had, more strength than I thought I had.”

She also discussed the caliber of her husband’s character, describing him as a courageous and loving man. She explained how one terrorist involved in Daniel’s abduction called him the most courageous man he’d seen because of the way he conducted himself during captivity. He also refused to be sedated before being murdered.

“You can put chains around him, but you can never break the soul of a strong man,” she said. “[The terrorists] will never make us regret who we are.”

Pearl talked in detail about her husband, praising his dedication to truth and moral values. Daniel Pearl was once asked what his religious beliefs were, and he responded with a one-word answer: truth. Mariane was confident that her husband held true to his beliefs through the end.

“If you have values and you defend them to the core, no one can take that from you,” she said, speaking of Daniel.

She also discussed the current aspects of terrorism and how they affect the world and changes that need to be implemented in the American way of dealing with terrorism.

“We are the ones being killed, not George W. Bush or his family,” she said. “If only politics are answering terrorists, then we have serious problems. We need answers outside of the political arena.”