Track and field squads split up but still succeed

By JOE BALESTRINO

Pitt’s track and field teams had to compete last weekend without the security of familiar… Pitt’s track and field teams had to compete last weekend without the security of familiar teammates and coaches by their sides. The Panthers responded to this detachment by doing what they have done all season long: winning.

The team was split, with the majority of its athletes competing at the Akron Invitational and the rest at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational in Armory, NY.

The Akron Invitational featured more than 20 collegiate teams. Marissa Dudek was the top female performer at the meet, setting a personal and meet record in the pole vault and finishing in first place with a jump of 4.01 meters. The women’s team also received strong performances from sophomore Kim Rorabaugh, who captured the top spot in the weight throw with a mark of 15.96 meters, and freshman Martina Hallman. Hallman earned a first-place and two second-place finishes in the long jump, 60-meter hurdles and the triple jump, respectively.

The men’s team was led by sophomore Justin Clickett, who set two personal records and finished in second and first place in the shot-put (18.11 meters) and the weight throw (17.63 meters). He is currently in second on the Big East leader board in both events. Two other sophomores, Eric Fleming (second-place finish in the mile run) and Jesse Mang (third-place finish in the 3,000-meter) also contributed for the men.

Head coach Alonzo Webb, who was unable to attend this meet because he was with the remaining team members in New York, was very pleased with the results. Webb was also impressed with how the rest of his team performed at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational.

“This was a race we had never been to before,” Webb said. “The kids ran well against some tough competition in preparation for the Big East Championships in two weeks.”

The women’s sprinters excelled at Armory with senior co-captain, Kim Lyles, leading the way. She qualified for the NCAAs with a fifth-place finish in the 200 meters (23.95). Freshman sisters Shanea and Shantea Calhoun also ran well, each setting personal records. The country’s best runner in the 3,000-meter, Maureen McCandless, finished her event in second place with a time of 9:18.99. Coach Webb said that had it not been for a “tactical mistake,” — being unaware of where the other runners were in relation to herself — she would have won again.

For the second straight week, the men’s distance medley relay team of freshman Sam Bair, sophomore Kareem Cousar, sophomore Tim Konoval, and senior captain Jeryl Wilborn captured first place with a time of 9:44.45.

The men just missed the NCAA provisional qualifying time, but will get another chance this weekend at the Penn State Challenge Cup in State College, Pa. It is the last scheduled meet for the Panthers before the Big East Championships. Coach Webb plans on using this meet to sharpen his athletes’ skills.

“Each athlete will be kept to one or two events in order to keep them fresh,” Webb said. “We are just looking to build momentum and confidence.”

The team’s multiple individual successes this year suggest that a new era in Pitt track and field has begun. If the Panthers continue to perform as they have in recent weeks, both the men and the women could be very competitive at the championships.

“I have a good feeling going into the Big East [Championships],” Webb said when asked about his team’s chances. “The kids have worked hard and performed well. You never know what to expect in a championship meet, but I like our chances.”