Arlotta sets career-best, Pitt loses to Maryland

By JAKE PANASEVICH

Pitt accumulated its highest score of the season on Saturday, only to be defeated by rival… Pitt accumulated its highest score of the season on Saturday, only to be defeated by rival Maryland 192.400-192.075.

Pitt head coach Debbie Yohman blamed the loss on little mistakes that her squad made, primarily on the uneven bars.

“They didn’t beat us,” Yohman said. “We lost to them.”

Despite individual standout performances from Andrea Arlotta and Kaitlin Harrison, who finished in first and third place, respectively, the Panthers (3-6 overall, 1-3 Eastern Atlantic Gymnastics League) fell to a Maryland (8-7) team that they defeated three times last year.

Yohman and Arlotta agreed that the minute flaws in the uneven bars event were inexcusable.

“It wouldn’t be that close if we didn’t make mistakes that we do not make in practice,” Yohman said.

Maryland, however, was nearly flawless on the floor exercise, scoring a 49.050. The Terrapins were led by Ginny Scott and Rachel Martinez, who both earned scores of 9.875 with their routines.

Pitt fell short on the floor, scoring a 48.775 in the event. Pitt did, however, take vault and beam in Saturday’s meet.

Arlotta led the Panthers once again as she continued to raise the bar of achievement for herself, breaking personal records for the fourth consecutive meet.

Arlotta fought through a back injury and achieved first in the overall competition with a career-high score of 39.250. The injury occurred while practicing her floor routine. She was compensating for a previous knee injury when she hurt herself.

Arlotta said that she is a very physical gymnast and that her recent injury has forced her to focus on the mental aspect of the sport.

“She did a great job. This is the best meet she’s had,” Yohman said. “Andrea is an elite-level athlete.”

She also marked career-high scores on the uneven bars with a 9.825 and tied her previous career-high score of 9.900 in the floor exercise. She received first place in each record-breaking event.

Her 9.775 on vault and 9.750 on the balance beam landed her a first and third place, respectively. The balance beam score was yet another career-high score.

“In practice, I train like I compete,” Arlotta said. “I don’t put up with mistakes.”

Although Arlotta is the team leader on paper, she allows the captains to do their jobs in leading the team, and she only provides her input when it’s needed.

“I try to be a quiet leader,” Arlotta said.

Also battling through injuries to compete for Pitt was senior Leila Tait, who missed four weeks with a concussion. On Saturday, she achieved a season-high score on the uneven bars and placed second in the event with 9.775 points.

Tait also had season-high scores on the vault with a 9.700 and on the balance beam with 9.675 points. It was an impressive showing for a veteran gymnast who was able to practice only three times prior to this meet.

“That’s what you expect from talented competitors,” Yohman said.

Harrison recorded a season-high score on uneven bars with a score of 9.725 points, which was fourth place in the event. Her overall score of 38.250 was the third best out of all competitors on Saturday.

Joining the assembly of season-high scorers was freshman Samantha DeBone, who scored a 9.675 on the balance beam.

The Panthers will compete in their second quad meet of the season on Saturday at 8 p.m., when they will host Michigan State, Bowling Green and James Madison. All eyes will be on Arlotta at Fitzgerald Field House to see if the record-breaking rally continues.

“Andrea is going to nationals, and she is going to take this team with her,” Yohman said.