Pitt Police Chief honored

By LAURA JERPI

In a surprise ceremony on Friday morning, Pitt Police Chief Tim Delaney was honored by the… In a surprise ceremony on Friday morning, Pitt Police Chief Tim Delaney was honored by the National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve.

The committee recognized Delaney as a “patriotic employer” who contributes to national security and protects liberty and freedom by supporting employee participation in the armed forces.

Delaney, who is the son of a former Pitt police officer, joined the force in 1972. He entered as a night security guard in the Cathedral of Learning, worked his way up to patrolman, detective, training sergeant, captain and then commander, until he earned the position of chief in 2001.

Delaney said that he was really surprised to receive the honor.

“I’m really honored. I think this is the least we could do for the reserves,” Delaney said, adding that it was hard to lose employees while they were serving overseas.

In addition to the award itself, Delaney was also given a federal coin and pin by the committee, a sign of their appreciation.

“It means more when you receive something that you weren’t working for,” Delaney said.

He added that he does not like to win awards, but that he enjoys the satisfaction of participating in any way that he is able.

Delaney said he was very proud of his officers who served overseas. He added that they are the real heroes, not he.

“They’re over there, and I’m here,” he said.

In addition to being proud of his officers who served overseas, Delaney is also pleased with the generosity of his staff members who remained here in Pittsburgh. He said that some of his officers assisted the families of those overseas with tasks such as cutting their lawns while they were away.

The Pitt police have also posted heightened security measures for homeland security on their Web site, www.pitt.edu/~police.

Some of these measures include direct and continuous communication with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, city and county public safety personnel, increased patrol and security coverage at University buildings and placement of emergency personnel on standby. In addition, there will be a review of all response procedures and available equipment.