Do spring break like the movies

By JOHN NIGRO

If the ubiquitous advertisements all around campus for special Spring Break vacations have not… If the ubiquitous advertisements all around campus for special Spring Break vacations have not caught your attention, maybe you need some extra help figuring out where to go. Of course, these ads feature the same old popular vacation spots, such as Miami, Panama City, Fla., and Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

If you want to avoid these alcohol-laden beach towns, I suggest that you do some research into traveling to other areas. The best way to do this research is to watch vacation flicks from years past to see if any of the places sound more appealing than either southern Florida or a week staying in Pittsburgh.

What could be more fun than an old-fashioned trip across the country? The appropriately titled movie “Road Trip” does just this, traversing Appalachia and beyond. Even though Tom Green is in this flick, he only has a small role, and the rest of the movie is still entertaining.

Lesson learned from this movie? There’s something strangely appealing about simply riding on an open road — all you need is a car and three other people (and at least $350).

For those who wish to see the other side of the continental United States, watch the classic “National Lampoon’s Vacation.” Chevy Chase whisks his family away to California, meeting with the most adversity imaginable. Encounters with police, their elderly grandmother and a beleaguered amusement park security guard cannot break the family’s spirit. While their trip is certainly flawed, the thought of heading west is still quite promising.

Lesson learned from this flick? Planning a vacation in California is a good idea, but make sure you have a destination.

If the thought of spending time on the road sounds unappetizing, check out “Without a Paddle” for ideas on how to spend a week exploring nature. Three ordinary guys head out on an unlikely quest to find a lost treasure in the middle of Oregon, only to realize that they know nothing about outdoor adventuring. Despite the characters’ dreadful experiences, the scenery is beautiful and the movie has an exciting feel overall.

Lesson from this flick? Head outdoors if you wish, but stick to charted areas.

Nowhere does it say that you have to stay in North America for Spring Break. For those wanting to relish Old World culture, check out “Euro Trip.” Several college-bound students head for London, but end up in Paris and later, Amsterdam. With little money and little planning, these students made the most of their time abroad.

Most viewers will find the lowered drinking age the greatest enticement, while others may be enthused by lax drug enforcement. Unfortunately, the current exchange rate might throw cold water on the idea, but it’s worth consideration.

Lesson from this movie? A vacation in Europe can be unpredictable, but is usually worth the memories.

While the troubled travels of the movies are certainly less than encouraging, their destinations are inspiring nonetheless. If you cannot think of anywhere to go, maybe you should give these movies a try.