Wannstedt bandwagon; jump on it, jump on it

By JACQUE SKOWVRON

Many Americans have created a life that revolves around the sporting world. Some have made… Many Americans have created a life that revolves around the sporting world. Some have made careers out of helping athletes make their professional dreams come true. Some have dedicated their lives to bringing out the best in each athlete they coach.

Still others make their livings selling peanuts at baseball and football games, while others give up groceries for a month just to buy those $800 game tickets. After all, being a “professional” fan is no part-time job.

But under all the hype; buried beneath all the testosterone and “macho-man” exterior; hiding behind the money, stats and opinions is something more — something everyone who has made sports part of his or her life can understand.

Passion.

It’s one of the most powerful forces on earth, and it’s created the world that many of us reside in.

Why do athletes push themselves both physically and mentally beyond the point of exhaustion?

Passion.

Why do teams like the Pirates have fans that remain loyal to them season after losingseason?

Passion.

Why would someone spend his or her life reporting and writing about teams’ successes and failures game after game, year after year?

Passion.

Sometimes I think we all get caught up in stats and records. We forget what puts that fire in athletes’ hearts. We, as fans, forget what makes the adrenaline pump through our bodies on game days. We forget why sports have become the love of so many people.

And then something happens that changes all of that. Someone comes along and reminds us what this love is all about. Someone brings passion back into the mix. That “someone” has come to Pitt, and the ripples of this man’s impact have been felt throughout our campus.

Dave Wannstedt has returned to his alma mater with dreams of reliving the days when Pitt held claim to the national title. I remember watching his press conference and getting goose bumps. His words of commitment and the goals he spoke of were enough for me to jump on the “Wannstedt Bandwagon.”

This man has passion. This man not only has dreams, but he can visualize these dreams coming true. Dave Wannstedt has injected this university with a shot of adrenaline.

Since athletic director Jeff Long announced Wannstedt as Pitt’s new head football coach, everywhere I go, in every paper I pick up, on every local sports show I turn on, people are talking about him. Everyone knows that this guy is something special.

Along with a passionate coach, I believe we have one of the most passionate football teams in college football. These players truly love what they’re doing, and it shows.

The Fiesta Bowl and the experience our team had there this past season will only fuel the fire in their hearts for next season. After all, true passion never burns out.

Assisting Wannstedt next year will be two other coaches whose passion is evident on the sidelines of every game: returning defensive coordinator Paul Rhodes and newly hired offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh. The three top candidates for the head coaching job will be in command next season and will work together as the Panthers chase their dreams.

Be prepared, Pitt fans, for one wild and crazy ride next year. Get caught up in this passion that is flowing through our campus. Take advantage of the ride we’re about to go on. Great things are coming our way, and I hope you feel just as lucky as I do to be able to be a part of it.

Jacque Skowvron is a staff writer for The Pitt News. Contact her at [email protected].