Stop watching the scandals

By JOHN NIGRO

Celebrities are one of America’s most prevalent forms of entertainment, and not just when they… Celebrities are one of America’s most prevalent forms of entertainment, and not just when they are on television or in movies. Often, the lives of actors and entertainers are more intriguing than any part they play or song they sing.

The latest celebrity whirlwind is centered on the dysfunctional and downright creepy life of Michael Jackson. While this case may prove to be exceptional for its vulgarity, it surely is nothing new to see the public seize upon celebrity.

Jackson has been accused of molesting a very young boy inside his self-designed Neverland Ranch. This case is shocking, even repulsive.

Jackson has been a target of the media for some time, which reflects the public’s desire to see inside of his private life. Last year, he was featured endlessly on news channels around the world for dangling his baby outside of his high-rise window. Soon after, a British documentary conducted a two-hour interview with the eerie star.

With all of this considered, it would seem like Michael Jackson is poised to be one of the most remembered odd-ball celebrities of modern times. However, before he is deemed as such, let’s consider a broader perspective.

It was just short of a year ago that Martha Stewart was charged and eventually convicted of insider trading. This housewife icon was treated mercilessly by the media and public alike. Nearly every headline from the trial read some variation of “Martha Convicted” and mentioned little about the terms of the charge. Her conviction was actually considered frivolous by most legal experts, but regardless, it captured the public’s attention.

In Jackson’s case, the charge is highlighted because of its shock factor. However, just like Jackson, Stewart was fixated upon by the public eye because of her erroneous actions. Michael is not alone.

Even renowned radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh found himself as tender meat for a dirt-hungry public. His exposed drug addictions were in headlines everywhere, even featured prominently on the front page of a weekend edition of USA Today after the story broke. While the contradictions between Limbaugh’s rhetoric and actions fueled the hoopla, his celebrity status was inarguably the core reason behind all of the attention.

Interestingly, it seems like just as one flashy case ends, a new one suddenly emerges. As soon as Martha Stewart’s story faded, Jackson’s increasingly gained news time. Just before Martha’s case, there was the superfluous attention on Wynona Rider’s theft spree.

So when listening to the stories about Jackson in the news, it is more than justifiable to feel sickened by his actions. The fact is, however, that almost any out-of-line behavior committed by celebrities is covered tirelessly and sensationalized.

It should be noted that this case is simply another along a line of celebrity attention-grabbers covered by the media; Jackson’s case, while disgusting if proven true, is certainly nothing new to headlines.