Panthers try to weather the Red Storm

By KEITH WEHMEYER

The Pitt men’s basketball team is going back on the road to take on St. John’s, or at least… The Pitt men’s basketball team is going back on the road to take on St. John’s, or at least that’s how the schedule reads. “It’s our second home, so it’s [like] going back home,” sophomore Chris Taft said when asked about playing in Madison Square Garden. St. John’s (6-7 overall, 0-3 Big East) has yet to win this season in conference play but has managed to keep games close against strong opponents. Saturday, the Red Storm lost a nail-biter to Notre Dame (11-3, 3-1) 67-66, on a 3-pointer by Irish sharpshooter Chris Thomas with 6.5 seconds left in the game. The Red Storm made only one of four free throws in the final minute, a category in which they rank No. 1 in the Big East. Following the Thomas 3, the Red Storm had a chance for the win. Sophomore Daryl Hill, who had a career high 30 points, drove the length of the court only to have his last-second shot blocked from behind. Hill is leading the Big East in scoring, and ranks among the top 25 in the nation. He is averaging 20.5 points per game on the season, and more than 27 points per game during conference play. He has done all this while also leading his team in assists. Hill, however will be going up against the Panther defense, which held him to 16 points in last year’s contest. This year, St. John’s is 1-2 on the season against ranked opponents. Last month they defeated North Carolina State 63-45, at the time the Gamecocks were ranked No. 17 in the nation. Hill again led his team in scoring with 19 points. N.C. State has since dropped out of the rankings. Pitt is currently ranked No. 20, and has been in the top 25 all season, reaching the No. 7 spot in late December. Last season, the Panthers defeated St. John’s at the Petersen Events Center 71-51. The point total was the Red Storm’s lowest in the series’ 46-game history. In the game, New York native Taft led the Panthers with 15 points. With a third of their roster from the Big Apple, the Panthers will again feel right at home tonight. “When you go back into the Garden, you got your friends and family there,” Panther guard Carl Krauser said. “You’re comfortable.” Earlier this season, the Panthers defeated Memphis in the Garden 70-51 in the Jimmy V. Classic. Krauser, another New York native, led the team in scoring with 17 points, making 15 of 18 free throws. The Pitt men’s basketball team is going back on the road to take on St. John’s, or at least that’s how the schedule reads.

“It’s our second home, so it’s [like] going back home,” sophomore Chris Taft said when asked about playing in Madison Square Garden.

St. John’s (6-7 overall, 0-3 Big East) has yet to win this season in conference play but has managed to keep games close against strong opponents. Saturday, the Red Storm lost a nail-biter to Notre Dame (11-3, 3-1) 67-66, on a 3-pointer by Irish sharpshooter Chris Thomas with 6.5 seconds left in the game.

The Red Storm made only one of four free throws in the final minute, a category in which they rank No. 1 in the Big East.

Following the Thomas 3, the Red Storm had a chance for the win. Sophomore Daryl Hill, who had a career high 30 points, drove the length of the court only to have his last-second shot blocked from behind.

Hill is leading the Big East in scoring, and ranks among the top 25 in the nation. He is averaging 20.5 points per game on the season, and more than 27 points per game during conference play. He has done all this while also leading his team in assists.

Hill, however will be going up against the Panther defense, which held him to 16 points in last year’s contest.

This year, St. John’s is 1-2 on the season against ranked opponents. Last month they defeated North Carolina State 63-45, at the time the Gamecocks were ranked No. 17 in the nation. Hill again led his team in scoring with 19 points. N.C. State has since dropped out of the rankings.

Pitt is currently ranked No. 20, and has been in the top 25 all season, reaching the No. 7 spot in late December.

Last season, the Panthers defeated St. John’s at the Petersen Events Center 71-51. The point total was the Red Storm’s lowest in the series’ 46-game history. In the game, New York native Taft led the Panthers with 15 points.

With a third of their roster from the Big Apple, the Panthers will again feel right at home tonight.

“When you go back into the Garden, you got your friends and family there,” Panther guard Carl Krauser said. “You’re comfortable.”

Earlier this season, the Panthers defeated Memphis in the Garden 70-51 in the Jimmy V. Classic. Krauser, another New York native, led the team in scoring with 17 points, making 15 of 18 free throws.