They’re lost but not alone

By JOHN NIGRO

Lost

Starring: Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Ian Somerhalder

ABC…

Lost

ABC

Wednesdays, 9 p.m.

Whether they are stuck in purgatory, are in a bad dream, or are stranded on an actual Pacific island, one thing is for sure: The cast of “Lost” has certainly found its place as part of a prized prime-time mystery.

The creepy ABC thriller has emerged as the most unlikely hit of the year, bullying its way into being a top-10 show with more than 14 million followers a week. The show gathered many post-“X-Files” devotees as well as the attention of viewers who decided to give this pioneer a try, establishing a solid fan base that follows its rugged story line.

A flight from Los Angeles to Australia has crashed on an island, killing most of the passengers, but sparing 43 lives. The core of these survivors is lead-character Jack (Matthew Fox), a budding physician who puts his skills to use with the wounded. With the help of his sleek and strong-willed friend Kate (Evangeline Lilly), the two try to both save and restore order to the frenzied survivors.

The peripheral characters are not merely thematic pawns, but vital components to the show’s dramatic purpose. Formerly handicapped, adventurous Locke can now use his legs after the crash; his wilderness savvy helps him lead the exploration teams that are constantly trying to survey the island. Siblings Boone and Shannon (Ian Somerhalder and Maggie Grace) are the island’s eye candy, rounding off the youngest wing of the surviving core.

Overweight and truly caring, Hurley (Jorge Garcia) lends a helping hand in unusual ways, such as setting up a golf-course so everyone will calm down and relax. So what do all of these characters believe has happened to them?

The deep, perpetual intrigue of the show is the incremental discoveries of where they may be. Several days after the crash with no rescue team in sight, Jack and Kate realize that there probably will not be any help on its way. This island is either uncharted or unearthly, either real or imaginary.

None of the survivors has a grounded belief as to where they may be, or perhaps no one dares venture a guess that would disrupt the crew. Their cautious travels around the island lead most to believe that they are not alone, given startling distress calls intercepted on the plane’s transceiver from a French woman from across the island. Frequent encounters with gruesome animals and unidentifiable artifacts suggest that not only are they not alone, but they are in danger.

Viewer theories of their whereabouts range from the paranormal (they are on an alien island) to the religious (they are in purgatory) to the fantastical (they are in someone’s dreams). Regardless of where they may actually be, the show has captivated a cult-like following.

The most recent cliffhanger — where a young, pregnant woman was kidnapped by an unknown island native — sparked explosive responses on conspiracy chat rooms nationwide. Rarely since the heyday of “The X-Files” has such an enigmatic hit garnered such ratings and critical acclaim.

With surreal ambience, carefully structured dialogue, and deep character involvement, “Lost” can be considered an artful creation. The scenes serve to enhance overall mood rather than supply a backdrop, as well as to constantly remind the audience that the characters are truly alone on this vicious island.