New SGB begins year

By MICHAEL MASTROIANNI

The Student Government Board that Allocations Chair Lauren Harris called “the most diverse,… The Student Government Board that Allocations Chair Lauren Harris called “the most diverse, yet the most unified” in five years met last night with new faces, new ideas and new sushi.

SGB’s first board meeting opened with President Brian Kelly outlining the organization’s goals for their 2005 term: “leadership, technology, service.” Several newly elected and re-elected board members ran on slates that advocate progress in these areas, and their ideas were introduced last night, along with a description of progress already made in some areas.

Kelly nominated Jarrod Baker as president pro tempore and Joe Pasqualichio as business manager, a position held until last night by board member Liz Blasi. The president cited Baker’s “dedication of nearly 100 percent of his time to SGB” and Pasqualichio’s “past board experience and organization” as rationale for their nominations. Both nominations were carried unanimously, leading to Blasi and Pasqualichio switching seats.

The president’s report outlined SGB’s overhaul of the allocations process for the next fiscal year, beginning July 1. An internal and external allocations committee will exist to govern distribution of the student activities fee, which was augmented by a recent $20 increase in fees.

Kelly also announced the elimination of the academic affairs and environmental committee, saying, “There are enough groups who deal with environmental issues on campus.” The academic affairs committee’s responsibilities will be absorbed into a new entity, the special events committee, which will also oversee Light-up Night and other campus happenings.

Kelly also hopes to expand the SGB office, which is on the sixth floor of the William Pitt Union, to include a Student Leadership Center, which would possess resources for other campus organizations. A larger boardroom for expanded attendance at board meetings may also be in the works, though less than half of the seats were occupied last night.

Baker, also the traditions committee liaison, reported a possibility of continuing projects begun by former SGB member Joe Salvatore, who ended his term of service last month.

“There are a lot of ways to increase efficiency and productivity in this office,” Baker added.

Monica Higgins, the new governmental relations committee liaison, described her work on creating a leadership seminar for campus leaders in association with Omicron Delta Kappa, Pitt’s leadership organization. The seminar is slated for February, with a possible follow-up in the fall semester.

Higgins also called on students to remain involved in outside politics.

“Politics aren’t over when the election is,” Higgins said, referring to November’s national elections. “Now is the time to hold our elected leaders responsible.”

Jennifer Anukem, who ran on a safety and leadership recognition slate, related her plans for an education-based safety campaign, focusing on aggressive panhandling in Oakland. Zachary Ransom, the new diversity committee liaison, said he looks forward to new and improved diversity programs for Pitt students.

Dilinus Harris, the publicity liaison, spoke briefly about the need for community service among students.

“It’s important that the students can show they care about Oakland, but also the outside area,” Harris said.

Rebekah Bambling, the new special events committee liaison, stressed increased communication about campus events. Kelly suggested that all organizations requesting funds also post their events on events.pitt.edu, an existing Web site that Kelly does not think is “currently used to the best of its potential.”

Joe Pasqualichio, the judicial affairs liaison and business manager, said his past experience on the board has prepared him to serve in both posts. He said he hopes to advertise the “Pick-a-Prof” teacher-rating Web site and jump-start the “SwaPitt” Web site, where students may exchange goods such as textbooks, furniture and other college-related items.

Bambling hopes to improve the basketball ticket-purchasing policy, while Pasqualichio addressed the need to increase the percentage of basketball tickets picked up for use, which stood at 57 percent for conference games and 19 percent for non-conference games.

Pasqualichio also took time to praise Blasi’s work on the food committee and the revamping of the Cathedral Cafe, which includes a new selection of salads and the addition of a sushi bar.

In his closing remarks, Kelly informed those present that the sushi was not made by Sodexho, but by the company that provides sushi for Giant Eagle.

Blasi hopes to introduce a movie station to the Pitt TV station and also broadcast SGB meetings for all students who wish to see them.

In SGB’s first allocation vote, the board unanimously granted $75,000 to Pitt Program Council for the spring semester. The money will go to fund Bigelow Bash and a new project, Winter Wonderland.

“I don’t want to tell any secrets about it, but it’s going to be big,” Kelly said.

During discussion, Harris said he hoped the program council would diversify events in the future so as to mirror diversity of Pitt’s student body. The board and the audience nodded in agreement.

All board members expressed their excitement about working together for their 2005 term.

“This board has already worked together remarkably well,” Pasqualichio said.