SGB gets ready for elections

The long-awaited election might be over, but for some Student Government Board members, the… The long-awaited election might be over, but for some Student Government Board members, the campaigning is just beginning.

At last Thursday’s weekly meeting, it was clear to see that the upcoming election, scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 17, is the pressing issue, with President Brian Kelly leading the board decked in a suit and tie, apparently ready to hit the trail after the meeting.

And the small audience, which started off as just eight people — half of whom were SGB committee chairs and two of whom represented The Pitt News — might reflect the current trend of the office as two board members are running for re-election and two are running for president.

The public meetings aren’t necessarily what’s important now. It’s deciding who will serve the students starting next semester and who will help to implement the new Student Activities Fee allocations process, which has yet to be finalized.

Students will have the opportunity to voice their opinions regarding the future of the fee disbursements Thursday at 7 p.m., following the regularly scheduled SGB meeting.

Board member Charis Jones, though, summed up her feelings at the end of the meeting best.

“Whoever gets on board, look forward to the end,” she said. Piquing her fellow board members’ attention, she added that it’s the best time because you don’t have to care anymore, particularly if you don’t get along with all your board mates.

The room soon filled with laughter after a moment of awkward silence from the shock of Jones’ candid remarks, before the normal flow of the meeting resumed.

And while Kelly, who is seeking re-election, and current-board member and presidential candidate Todd Brandon Morris may be awaiting the SGB election results, many on the current board who are not running are awaiting the announcements of Morris and board member Matt Hutchinson’s “Board Member of the Year” awards.

Hutchinson decided to take a week off from announcing the latest updates regarding who ranked where with his award, allowing Morris, who originated the award, to hold the limelight.

Early in the meeting, Morris warned his fellow board mates that the results — for the week and not overall — were quite surprising.

“I must be honest,” he said. “I was shocked by the results, as I’m sure you all will be.”

While giving his final remarks for the evening, Morris laid out his criteria for the week’s rankings, which included consoling a crying board member, campaigning, receiving 8 a.m. calls from administrators and booing of the “fine presidential candidate” whom the award is named after.

And then came the weekly ranking, in no particular order: board members Joe Salvatore, Joe Pasqualichio, Hutchinson and Amit Kotz, who was not in attendance.

“Shucks!” Jones said.

Board member Lauren Evette Williams echoed this feeling during her final words, questioning why she can never gets into a top ranking.

But she does not seem to have let the results discourage her.

“Some people need to be recognized,” she said. “Some people are just good — I guess that’s me.”

But Pasqualichio had a different sentiment.

“The TBM Award,” he said. “Wow! I’m shocked to be in the top four.”

And while his fellow board members seemed to hastily go through their final remarks, Pasqualichio made sure to address everything he had planned — including commenting on the great number of students who turned out to vote on Tuesday and the ever-controversial issue of bold-face type.

In past meetings, board members had suggested that the sheets they use to review allocations requests somehow clearly differentiate between first and second requests; when a request comes to the board it can be sent back to the allocations committee for further review but once it comes back to the board the board must vote on it. And it seemed as though last week the advice was finally taken.

But, apparently, the new bold-faced type wasn’t enough.

At first, Pasqualichio hadn’t noticed the bold face at all on his sheets, and then a fellow board member pointed out that the dollar amount requested was indeed bolded.

Apparently, though, Pasqualichio was not alone in that boat as several people on board began shuffling through and closely examining their papers.

“That’s bold?” Pasqualichio asked.

And while making his final comments, Pasqualichio made further requests — perhaps, italicizing and bolding the numbered requests and not just the dollar amounts would do.

“I was going to say thank you,” he said. “But I’m not going to say that yet.”

Before Kelly ended the meeting, he reminded his board members they need to stay concise and on-topic when speaking because he was sure that the people at the meeting had other things to be doing.