Fate of city’s transit to be decided at PAT hearing

After weeks of waiting, Port Authority patrons’ voices will be heard today at a transit system… After weeks of waiting, Port Authority patrons’ voices will be heard today at a transit system public hearing.

But it might not be enough to save the transit system from devastating cuts. Only Senate Bill 1162 and House Bill 2697, which would allocate dependable funding for public transit across the state, can save the Port Authority from increased fares and the elimination of all weekend service, as well as weekday service after 9 p.m., according to Port Authority officials and public transit advocates.

House Bill 2697 is not yet on the calendar for this session, and will most likely not be added before the fall session ends on Nov. 30, according to Steve Miskin, press secretary for House Floor Leader Rep. Samuel Smith.

“At this moment, it is not going to be voted on this year,” Miskin said.

The situation doesn’t look much better in the Senate. The bill is not on the Senate calendar either, according to Cheryl Hicks, the legislative director for Sen. Barry Stout, the Democratic Party leader of the Transportation Committee. Hicks added that Stout has not signed on the bill yet, and that he has no intention of doing so at this time, despite having agreed that there is a need for public transit funding.

“Why? First, this is not because he doesn’t support public transit,” Hicks said. “Second, when you look at public transit, you have to look at highways and bridges in this commonwealth. If something was added to include those, he would sign.”

But some advocates for public transit don’t want to see amendments added to the bills. Fliers circulated at the Oct. 21 “Save Our Transit” rally, held in the William Pitt Union, encouraged Port Authority riders to contact legislators who could be influential in getting the bills passed. The fliers encouraged riders to tell Senate and House of Representatives floor leaders that the bills must “be put on the calendar and acted on in a timely manner.

“We also want there to be no amendments added to this bill that would slow it down or otherwise jeopardize its passage,” the fliers said.

At press time, neither Hicks nor Miskin was optimistic that the bills would be discussed on the House or Senate floors before January. Hicks added that if the pair of bills weren’t discussed and passed before midnight on Nov. 30, they would face a new legislature, following the inauguration of senators and representatives on Jan. 11.

According to Bob Grove, a spokesperson for Port Authority, the transit system hopes it will not come to that.

“The situation will develop over the last few weeks of November,” he said. “Although these pieces of legislation have been before the legislature since June, nothing says these have to be the vehicle they have to use.”

He added that Port Authority officials are “hopeful and confident” that a funding stream will be developed before cuts and raises go into effect.

“We remain optimists that the legislature in Pennsylvania understand this issue, that they are hearing about [it] from their constituents, and that it is absolutely essential for some sort of funding stream for transit,” Grove added.

The public hearings will be held at the Sheridan Station Square today in three different sessions: from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m., from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m., and from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. While pre-registration to testify at the hearings was suggested, slots will be left open for the public to speak, Grove said.

He added that there has been a large outpouring of support from Port Authority riders, and that the testimony slots have been filling up quickly ever since the hearings were announced.

“Public transportation is a vital part of the regular way of life for thousands of thousands of people,” Grove said.

“We just want to do what we do best — that’s getting people where they need to go.”