Black-belted Miss Pa. could kick your butt, while helping students

By MARIA MASTERS

For those who feel that the Miss America Pageant is nothing but a beauty competition, just… For those who feel that the Miss America Pageant is nothing but a beauty competition, just look at the resume of this year’s Miss Pennsylvania, Victoria Bechtold.

Bechtold spoke yesterday afternoon in the Kurtzman Room of the William Pitt Union, in an event organized by Residence Life.

In addition to being a valedictorian from Duquesne University, who completed an undergraduate degree in business and information technology in three years, Bechtold has a black belt in karate, plays the piano, dances, and sings. She strives to be as well-rounded as possible, and insists that it is important in fulfilling her role as Miss Pennsylvania.

Bechtold first became affiliated with the Miss America Pageant through a former Miss Pennsylvania, who recommended that Bechtold compete.

“I looked at her and thought, ‘Who, me? Walk across the stage in high heels and a bathing suit?'” Bechtold said.

But after learning that the Miss America Pageant was the No. 1 provider of scholarships for women, Bechtold reconsidered. However, there are many common stereotypes that follow her around, and Bechtold wants to set the record straight.

“A lot of people come up to me and say, ‘You are very pretty, I am so glad you are our Miss Pennsylvania,'” she said. “And they want to pay you a compliment, but sometimes it comes as a slap in the face.”

When asked about what goes on behind the scenes at Miss America, Bechtold insisted that it is not like what the movies portray.

“I think the media is a big instigator for stereotypes,” Bechtold said, explaining that movies show the opposite of what actually happens.

But Bechtold, whose academic accomplishments are just beginning, has big plans to incorporate information technology in education.

“This idea actually hit me in high school,” Bechtold said, explaining that technology affects many aspects of society, but not education. Bechtold hopes to incorporate more technology in elementary, middle and high schools.

Bechtold’s vision for educational technology includes live satellite uplinks of fieldwork to classrooms, so students can witness research as it happens. She believes this will motivate students to enter fields of math and science.

She added that many people are quick to bring up subjects like disease, natural disaster and terrorism.

“Technology will solve these problems,” she said.

Bechtold has volunteered much of her time in school districts. One group of students she visited had a particularly strong effect on her life.

When asked to speak to a group of troubled teens who were failing high school, Bechtold admitted to being nervous and shaken. She expected to hear comments from the students, but instead, she found the room silent.

After giving a motivational speech, she moved on to a question-and-answer period, during which one boy asked her to sing for them.

She expected to hear a request from a popular music artist, but was taken by surprise when the boy asked her to sing “Amazing Grace.”

“I was touched,” Bechtold said. “It was the best audience I have had.”

But the rewards of being Miss Pennsylvania extend far beyond work. Bechtold has made life-long friends, with at least one in almost every state, she said.

“The atmosphere was so positive,” Bechtold said. “At Miss Pennsylvania, there was intelligent conversation and nervous chatter.”

But she insists there was nothing negative about the experience.

“This has been the best year of my life,” she said.