Bennet won’t return this semester

By DAVEEN RAE KURUTZ

More information is available concerning the condition of the Pitt senior who was seriously… More information is available concerning the condition of the Pitt senior who was seriously injured after being struck by a motor vehicle Thursday evening.

Jamie Bennett is in fair condition at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital, recovering from a broken neck, two broken legs and head injuries.

“She’s doing good, under the circumstances,” said James Bennett, her father. “We’re taking it one step at a time and leaving it in God’s hands.”

Jamie Bennett was struck by a four-door sedan just before 5 p.m. Thursday when she was crossing Forbes Avenue, heading toward Schenley Plaza after leaving her Writing the Review class. She was taken to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital, where she remains in the Intensive Care Unit.

Her father did not know of any tentative release date for Jamie Bennett, but because she needs rehabilitation therapy, it may be a while. James Bennett added that his daughter will be unable to attend classes for the rest of the semester, but that she will still graduate as planned in May, with an English writing degree.

“She’s optimistic,” James Bennett said of his daughter. “She’s very positive about life and things in general. She’s a fighter, and we’re hoping she will make her way through this situation. She’s a fighter.”

James Bennett added that he is concerned for all students and faculty crossing the streets of Oakland. As a Port Authority bus driver, he said he has driven the streets of Oakland for years and has seen how dangerous they can be. He suggested that city officials consider installing at the accident site the type of traffic light found at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Craig Street, as a protective measure for pedestrians. At the Fifth-and-Craig intersection, all four traffic lights turn red and a walk sign appears, accompanied by a repetitive sound that signals for pedestrians to cross.

“There’s a large number of people who are crossing the streets of Oakland,” he said. “Sometimes, people just aren’t paying attention.”

He added that his daughter currently has her neck in a halo to restrict her neck and head movement.

“She’s 22,” James Bennett said. “She used to have a very active life. It is hard for her to be immobilized. It’s disheartening to see her lying in bed in that condition.”

Jamie Bennett has received many visitors and kind wishes from the University, her father said. He expressed the family’s gratitude for the concern that her friends and the University have shown.

He added that his daughter does not remember much about the accident. The Bennetts have requested that eyewitnesses with any information about the accident contact The Pitt News at [email protected].