Protesters burn flags

By JONATHAN CHECK

A motley crew of protesters marched through Oakland last night, burning American flags,… A motley crew of protesters marched through Oakland last night, burning American flags, chanting for peace and stopping traffic at various intersections. At least two people were arrested, according to the Pittsburgh Independent Media Organization’s Web site.

The protesters, who ranged from college students to senior citizens, circled part of Pitt’s campus during the demonstration, which lasted for about an hour. They beat on handmade drums, screamed through air horns, carried signs and banners displaying political messages, and chanted for peace and solidarity. Many wore masks and scarves to conceal their identities.

Though the re-election of President George W. Bush seemed to be a major focus of the group’s anger, participants were quick to point out that the demonstration was a bi-partisan affair directed at the system, rather than a particular political candidate.

“This would be going on if Kerry won [the election],” said a protester who identified himself as Sam. Draped in an American flag displaying corporate logos in place of the stars, he said the group was trying to “build alternatives at the grass-roots level, so I no longer have to wear this flag.”

“We are not here for any parties,” said a protester who identified himself as Matt. “We are here to make change and make our voices heard.”

According to the Pittsburgh Independent Media Organization Web site, the demonstration mobilized outside the Software Engineering Institute and proceeded toward Pitt’s campus.

Shortly before 6 p.m., the protesters arrived on the corner of Forbes Avenue and Bigelow Boulevard, where they paused briefly to chant and burn an American flag before marching toward Atwood Street. Many walked in the street, scrawling political messages on the asphalt and slowing rush-hour traffic to a near standstill, while others clogged the sidewalk.

A protester who identified himself as Brian was tackled and handcuffed by Pitt police in front of the Original Hotdog Shop, once the crowd reached the corner of Forbes Avenue and S. Bouquet Street.

By that point, crowds of bystanders had gathered on the surrounding sidewalks to watch the procession and police were standing by, some holding leashed dogs. The passing scene evoked political discussion among some of those who watched.

“Don’t get me wrong, I love Kerry,” said Pitt student Mike Revell, who observed the procession of activists, “but I just think this protest is stupid.”

“Burning stuff does not get your point across,” he added, referring to the American flags that protesters ignited in the streets.

Some however, were inspired to join the procession

President Bush needs to listen to all the dissenting opinions,” said Matthew Monin, a Pitt graduate student who decided to fall in with the throng as it passed.

“The country is not united,” he added. “[Bush] needs to make concessions to the voters who didn’t vote for him.

After pausing momentarily to chant such slogans as “Whose streets? Our streets!” and “Peace now,” the protesters continued down Forbes, closely monitored by a slew of City and University police.

At approximately 6:30 p.m., the crowd stopped briefly on the corner of Forbes Avenue and Atwood Street, before turning right on Atwood and marching up to Fifth Avenue. After once again stopping westbound traffic on Fifth Avenue, the protesters proceeded toward the Cathedral of Learning in the bus lane.

A procession of police cars followed them as they crossed Bigelow Boulevard and Bellefield Street, finally stopping again in front of the Software Engineering Institute.

At 7:12 p.m., Lt. Dietrich of the Pittsburgh City Police ordered the crowd to disperse. According to Dietrich, the protesters were breaking the law by assembling without a permit and obstructing the sidewalks and street.

“I’m really impressed that people in Pittsburgh haven’t forgotten how to express themselves in a democracy,” Matt said as the protest broke up. Some of the protesters said they were heading Downtown to show support for the arrested protesters.

A post on The Pittsburgh Independent Media Organization’s Web site yesterday morning said that two protesters were being held on $5,000 bail for disorderly conduct, and that others had gathered outside the jail in a show of support.

Michael Mastroianni and Rachel Coup contributed to this report.