Taylor moves on, Dadlani moves in

By NIKKI SCHWAB

Student Life has a new adviser, but she is not really new to Student Life.

Sara Dadlani has… Student Life has a new adviser, but she is not really new to Student Life.

Sara Dadlani has accepted the position of Student Life adviser and is now overseeing Black Action Society, Asian Student Alliance, Freedom Honor Society and Campus Women’s Organization.

Dadlani had worked as a graduate assistant in Student Life since March, and she also has worked as adviser for ASA since the beginning of the semester.

“I believe this was a natural professional opportunity for her to grow into,” Associate Dean of Student Affairs and the Director of Student Life Birney Harrigan said.

Dadlani had been working “more behind the scenes” for former BAS adviser and Assistant to the Dean Michele Scott Taylor. Taylor left her position because “another opportunity came available,” and she will now work as the assistant to the provost for enrollment management.

“I was kind of the obvious person to step in,” Dadlani said.

Harrigan explained that Dadlani had made positive contributions to ASA and has been actively engaged with the students.

Dadlani met with the executive board of BAS to be introduced formally.

“[The executive board] played a role in providing input regarding their prospects of her becoming a BAS adviser,” Harrigan said.

Dadlani started work in her new position Friday and is still e-mailing group members and getting things set up.

“I think that each of the organizations is at a different point and needs different things [from] an adviser,” Dadlani said. She said she realized the different challenges each of the organizations brings to her and plans to use different approaches of advising.

Charis Jones, vice president of BAS and president of Freedom Honor Society, said she was excited for Taylor’s new position, and also for Dadlani’s opportunity to take over.

“You can’t be upset when this is such a great move for [Taylor],” Jones said. Jones commended Taylor’s work as BAS adviser, adding that Taylor accomplished in two years what some people take 10 years to do.

Jones explained that, because Dadlani worked under Taylor’s supervision, “this transition is 100 times better” than previous advisory changes.

“I think students are very lucky; this transition is very smooth,” Taylor said.

Taylor admitted that, while she will miss her students, she will not miss the hours required as an adviser.

“I think these students are in good hands,” Taylor said.