Women’s soccer loses to UMBC, 1-0

By JAKE PANASEVICH

Lack of focus led to a sub-par performance and a loss to a sub-par opponent as the Pitt… Lack of focus led to a sub-par performance and a loss to a sub-par opponent as the Pitt women’s soccer team fell by a score of 1-0 to the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, on Sunday.

“It was very disappointing,” head coach Sue-Moy Chin said. “I definitely think we were the better team.”

Although Pitt controlled the speed of play throughout the first half of the game, it failed to capitalize on key opportunities.

One of those chances came when junior forward Sara Gutting received a through ball in Pitt’s offensive third. Gutting struck the ball low to the ground and aimed toward the opposite goal post. Unfortunately for the Panthers, UMBC’s goalkeeper was able to get a hand on the ball and sent it just wide of the post.

Going into the second half, tied at zero, UMBC began to gain confidence.

The only goal of the contest was scored on a penalty kick late in the second half, which gave UMBC the score it would need to defeat the Panthers.

Play was stopped when one of UMBC’s players, while on a breakaway toward the goal, attempted to skirt around goalkeeper Jamie Pelusi. When the two players collided, Pelusi attempted to slide for the ball, while her opponent fell to the ground.

“The girl tried to jump over me,” Pelusi said.

The referees deemed the play worthy enough to call a crucial penalty against Pitt, awarding UMBC with the chance to take the lead, and it did.

This was not the first time that penalty kicks have plagued the Panthers. They have allowed three so far this season, conceding one just recently against long-time rival West Virginia in their 6-1 loss.

“They are playing very aggressive. Some have been bad calls,” head coach Sue-Moy Chin said. “The penalties have been a result of the players’ lack of awareness and knowing where they are [on the field].”

Pitt and UMBC both shot the ball nine times. Three of those nine shots were on goal for the Panthers.

UMBC had several shots on net, which on paper seems dominant. However, most of the shots were long distance, and easy for Pitt’s goalkeeper to stop.

Both captains, Pelusi and Aimee Romasco, agree that the team did not play its best on Sunday.

“As a team, I think we were off,” Romasco said. “It was a tough loss. We need to keep our head in the game.”

“We didn’t show up together as a team, mentally,” Pelusi said.

Although the Panthers’ loss this past weekend leaves them bitter, they refuse to go down quietly.

“Hopefully we can rebound,” Romasco said.

Pitt has two crucial Big East games approaching. Both competitions are away and will be vital to Pitt’s record as they try to bounce back after a tough loss.

The Panthers look forward to this weekend, where they will have the chance to prove that they are contenders in the Big East. Pitt will travel to St. John’s on Friday.