Talk radio yaps about politics

By JOHN NIGRO

It’s easy to become immersed in the liberal-minded atmosphere while being a Pitt student. With… It’s easy to become immersed in the liberal-minded atmosphere while being a Pitt student. With countless anti-Bush posters plastered on every available light post and newspaper box, it’s easy to forget that there is another side. The election has spawned even more leftist activity in the area, given how there are frequent “Fire Bush” banners for students to sign at the corner of Bigelow Boulevard and Fifth Avenue. Lest we forget that there are always two sides to every story, I advise you to tune in to talk radio during the next month. Predominantly conservative, talk-radio hosts offer every angle from the right and every ridicule of the left. So who can you expect to hear on the radio?

Rush Limbaugh is the king of talk radio, establishing the current empire of conservative radio (and he will not hesitate to tell his listeners this). He is considered the most credible and optimistic host, exclusively using straight-forward statistics and simplistic rationale to cement his points.

Within his three-hour afternoon show, he dismisses various wild conspiracies of liberals, corrects misconceptions of Republicans, and straightens out convoluted politics on Capital Hill. Amazingly, the show has a comedic tone, given the rather serious topics at hand. For instance, John Kerry’s Senate history is inarguably dull. However, Limbaugh humorously degrades the candidate by pointing out his inconsistencies and floundering. To listen to him in action, catch him on KDKA weekday afternoons from 12 to 3pm.

Sean Hannity has recently made a name for himself in talk radio after appearing for several years on a nightly television news program. The most biting of the club of hosts, he can win debates like none other and has the potential to make opponents whimper. His show focuses heavily on discrediting Democrats with black-and-white logic. He appeals to the “heart and soul of America” with a country-music-style introduction pledging love to the homeland.

With many references to his wife and kids, he comes across as the good neighbor next door. It is hard to listen to Hannity without feeling a bit of nationalism afterwards. Listen from 3 to 6pm on ABC radio weekdays.

Michael Savage is unquestionably the most vicious host on the dial. He is certainly the most right-wing of the hosts, but ironically deems himself an independent voter. Perhaps the reason for this is that he is as frustrated with Republicans as with Democrats.

Savage sees most of current politics as a polluted mess of liberalism with loose morals and dreadful social entitlements. His explosive rants can send shivers down a listener’s spine, qualifying him as deeply passionate and fervently concerned. Though he often conveys his points via yelling, one cannot help but think “he’s exactly right” with his analysis.

Savage is the most blunt of the radio hosts and will not back down from calling his colleagues on their slip-ups (he is no fan of Limbaugh). Savage has his own niche on talk radio of basically telling everyone how it is, and it’s hard to argue with him. He can be heard on ABC radio every weeknight.

Whether you want to see the other side or simply want to be entertained by a ranting radio host, check out these conservative mouthpieces before you vote Nov. 2.

John Nigro is a staff writer for The Pitt News. He knows that there are plenty of people reading this who dislike many or all of these talk-show hosts. Let him know why you dislike them, and e-mail him at [email protected].