Port Authority threatens major cuts

Port Authority announced Friday afternoon its official plan for service cuts and fare… Port Authority announced Friday afternoon its official plan for service cuts and fare increases, including complete elimination of weekend and holiday service and weekday service after 9 p.m., as well as a one-zone fare increase to $2.50.

“The fact that Port Authority is forced to take this action once again speaks to the critical need to establish a dedicated, predictable and growing source of funding for public transportation in Pennsylvania,” said Paul P. Skouelas, the Port Authority chief executive officer. “Without adequate funding, Port Authority will be forced to implement these draconian measures that will have devastating and long-term impacts on the region.”

Service cuts alone have the potential to affect every Port Authority customer, according to Skouelas. Cuts include the complete elimination of approximately 70 routes, most providing transportation from the suburbs into town, as well as the schedule cutbacks on bus, rail, ACCESS and incline service.

Another severe cut that will affect many commuters involve transfers. Previously, for a nominal fee, riders could purchase along with their normal fares a one-zone transfer, which could be used for traveling anywhere within the same zone for the next three hours. Riders will still be able to purchase transfers, but they will now be valid for only 90 minutes.

The use of shuttles for special events, such as Steelers games, the Regatta and the Fourth of July celebration, will also be eliminated.

“These actions will greatly diminish the utility and availability of public transportation in Allegheny County,” Skoutelas said. “Thousands of residents will be left without transportation options to jobs, education, health care and other vital destinations, and the regional economy will suffer.”

The service cuts and fare increases are a result of an increasing defecit for the 2005 fiscal year. Port Authority faces a deficit of more than $30 million — $10 million more than it faced just more than a year ago. The increased deficit has made the cuts and increases more drastic than those presented to the public in 2003.

Port Authority officials said there is one thing that would allow them to either restructure the plan or to eliminate it completely: The state House of Representatives, Senate and governor could approve a bill in legislature by Nov. 30 that would supply Port Authority and other public transit companies with $270 million in additional funds. Port Authority’s yearly share of that money would be approximately $60 million.

In response to service cut and fare increase plans, Port Authority has scheduled a public hearing for Nov. 4 at the Sheraton Station Square. All Port Authority customers are welcome to testify about how the cuts will change their day-to-day lives. The public transit system encourages those who wish to testify to preregister by calling (412) 566-5103 Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

Testimony at the hearing will be heard throughout the day, divided into three sessions: 11 a.m. until 1 p.m., 2 until 6 p.m., and 7 until 9 p.m. Those who have not preregistered are welcome to attend the hearings, according to Port Authority officials, but they will not be able to speak unless time allows.

Speakers will be limited to three minutes each. Those who wish to testify in writing may do so in one of two ways: Written testimony can be directed to Port Authority Fare and Service Proposal, Heinz 47 Center, 345 Sixth Ave. Pittsburgh, PA 15222-2527; public comments may also be posted at the Port Authority Web site, www.RideGold.com.

All written comments must be received by 4 p.m. on Nov. 23.