See the man your mother fell in love with, for $10

By DAVEEN RAE KURUTZ

Are you “Ready to Take a Chance Again?”

The man who writes the songs that make the whole… Are you “Ready to Take a Chance Again?”

The man who writes the songs that make the whole world sing, Barry Manilow, is coming to Mellon Arena tonight, ready to sing goodbye to long-time fans and college students for what may be his last show in Pittsburgh.

Yes, I said college students. While a Barry Manilow concert may not seem like your first choice for Friday night entertainment, Manilow is trying to lure students into his concerts by offering $10 seats in section D (around the blue line, which usually goes for between $40 and $130 otherwise). You ask why you should spend $10 to go see a man whose music your mother loves?

Barry Manilow is a seasoned performer. With 38 hit singles and more than 43 albums released, he is the reigning No. 1 Adult Contemporary Artist of all time, according to “Radio and Records Magazine.”

His songs, while at times reminiscent of elevator music, are clear, understandable and usually have an intoxicating melody and rhythm. And that’s just his upbeat tunes, such as “Copacabana” and “Daybreak.” His ballads are often poignant and heart touching, doing just what every good song should: taking you back in time to when you felt exactly what he is singing about.

This may be Manilow’s last tour, as it is being advertised. We, as consumers, are well aware of the longevity that farewell tours have (for example, KISS and Cher — haven’t they been on their farewell tours for a couple of years now?), but for $10, why not go see the man who is responsible for so many of our generation being named Amanda?

After all, this is just the first “last time.”

See Barry Manilow live at Mellon Arena tonight. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. with the show starting at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 with a student ID. For more information or for tickets, call (412) 323-1919.