Freeman questions new resource

By JONATHAN CHECK

After almost two years of enduring alleged harassment from superiors within the Computing… After almost two years of enduring alleged harassment from superiors within the Computing Services and Systems Development department, Nino Maurice Freeman turned to a new University resource as his last line of defense.

Freeman said that, on Aug. 30, he called the AlertLine — a toll-free telephone service established in order to field Pitt employees’ concerns about workplace issues — to report the alleged unfair treatment by his employers.

“I wanted to believe that I would get some help,” Freeman said, although he remained suspicious of who would eventually wind up hearing his complaint. “I had it in the back of my mind that if this gets back to [CSSD], I would be fired.”

About a week later, he was.

“I knew from the day I was terminated that [the phone call] was the reason why,” he said, adding that he did not believe that there were any other pending issues concerning his employment that would justify his termination.

“I am very confident that because I reached out and made the call, it was the last straw,” he said.

All full-time and part-time faculty, staff and research associates at any of Pitt’s five campuses may call the AlertLine to report troublesome incidents within their workplaces, such as financial improprieties, discrimination and research compliance concerns.

According to John Elliot, Director of Internal Audit, Pitt enacted the AlertLine in recognition of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, which set new regulations for private companies in light of a wave of corporate scandals.

“As a not-for-profit educational institution, [Pitt] is not required to adopt the practices that this legislation sets forth, but we are doing so because we are convinced of the importance of [the Act],” wrote Chancellor Nordenberg, in a pamphlet about the AlertLine.

Calls to the AlertLine are handled by communication specialists who are employed by an independent third party. After fielding complaints from a caller, the specialists forward the information provided to one of four Pitt departments: the Office of Human Resources, the Department of Internal Audit, the Office of Research Conduct and Compliance or the Office of the General Counsel. From there, the appropriate department proceeds with an investigation of the caller’s complaint.

Callers are given the option to remain anonymous, though AlertLine does provide a “call-back” option for callers who choose to identify themselves, according to Elliot. Callers who identify themselves can then be contacted for additional information and advice, he said.

Freeman chose to leave his name when he called the AlertLine on Aug. 30.