Victim recovering, police still searching

By DAVEEN RAE KURUTZ

More details are available about the Saturday morning shooting that left a 22-year-old Pitt… More details are available about the Saturday morning shooting that left a 22-year-old Pitt student in critical condition.

Matthew A. Napper is recovering at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital after being shot in the back after a pick-up game of football, according to police.

The shooting occurred around 1:50 a.m. Saturday morning on the 300 block of Atwood Street. Tammy Ewing, the public information officer for city police, said several people were involved in a pick-up game of football when the ball struck a black or dark green Acura coupe.

The driver of the Acura exited the vehicle and began yelling at the group, according to Ewing. During the argument, witnesses said the man spat on the woman with whom he was arguing.

Ewing said the driver then pulled a gun from his waistband and fired a single shot, which ricocheted off the ground and into Napper’s back. Napper ran onto the porch of 350 Atwood St., reportedly cried out, “I’m shot,” and fell back.

Ryan Dean, president of Delta Tau Delta, said Napper was shot while trying to break up the argument. Napper, a member of Delta Tau Delta, was involved in the pick-up game before the shooting.

Commander Tom Stangrecki of Zone 4 said there have been violent incidents in the Central Oakland area in the past. With the recent, large influx of students into the area, thanks to the beginning of the fall semester, city police have concentrated on making their presence felt.

“We have increased patrols [around Oakland],” Stangrecki said. “We’re starting out by cracking down on disorderly conduct and loitering.”

Napper’s shooting has elicited a response from the University community, but no one was affected as much as Napper’s immediate family.

“We’re still sort of in shock,” said Judy Napper, Matt’s mother.

She added that Napper’s condition is steadily improving.

“Matt is off the ventilators, up and out of bed a little bit,” she said. “He’s doing much better, even though he’s lost a lot of blood and is still weak.”

Napper’s attitude has been positive since the incident, his mother said.

“He’s very tired, but when he was still hooked up and couldn’t talk, he was giving us a thumbs up,” she said. “The Delts and his roommates have been coming up to visit him, now that he’s allowed visitors.”

“He isn’t saying much about the shooting right now,” she added.

According to Judy Napper, no organs were damaged as a result of the shooting, and the surgeon did not find any remnants of the bullet during surgery.

She admitted to having fears, as a mother, but Judy Napper said her son would return to Oakland.

“I’m obviously concerned, but I’m not afraid of him going back,” she said. “This could happen to anyone. Not everyone down there is a student and from that area. I’m just glad he’s getting better.”

Napper and his family anticipates that he will be released from the hospital relatively soon. His mother said that earlier this week, doctors projected a Friday release, but he will not leave until he can eat and drink normally.

Ewing added that city police are still investigating the incident and interviewing witnesses. Anyone with information about the shooting is encouraged to contact city police at (412) 323-7800.