Allocations Committee chair defends decision

By KATIE LEONARD Senior Staff Writer

Josh Taylor, chair of the Allocations Committee, defended his committee’s recommendation to… Josh Taylor, chair of the Allocations Committee, defended his committee’s recommendation to the Student Government Board and the decision to reject the funding, saying those involved were not “cold hearted,” but that they were just following the allocations guide.

Taylor also defended his committee’s decision to recommend denying $800 to Hand in Hand, a community service group. The group wanted the money to buy presents for an annual event at which disabled children are invited to campus and paired with non-disabled persons to participate in games and activities. Taylor said his committee thought it was a mistake to fund this program in the past and that the committee chose to recommend against it this year because — according to the allocations guide — SGB should not provide funds to buy presents for guests.

A representative from Hand in Hand defended his group’s position, saying that SGB would be helping to buy presents that the students in the group would give to disabled children.

Ultimately, the board rejected the allocations committee’s recommendation and gave Hand in Hand the requested $800.

Board member Amit Kotz defended the committee and its chair during her closing remarks, citing Taylor’s experience in the allocations process.

When giving his own committee report, Taylor encouraged students to send in allocations requests now, because the board has more money with which to work, thanks to this year’s student activities fee increase.

“The board wants to spend that money and get that money out,” he said.