Port Authority won’t roll over to explosives

By DAVEEN RAE KURUTZ

Port Authority has gone to the dogs.

And, in this case, the dog knows better than anyone…. Port Authority has gone to the dogs.

And, in this case, the dog knows better than anyone.

Lord is the 17-month-old Hungarian Shepherd that the transit company acquired this spring. This is the transit system’s first canine unit. The pup has been trained in explosive detection, and his regular patrols began June 8.

“He works a regular, eight-hour shift, like all of our other officers,” Port Authority spokesman Bob Grove said. “He is trained to work anywhere in Port Authority’s system.”

The canine officer has trained and will work with veteran Port Authority Officer Brian O’Malley. The pair completed a seven-week training session before beginning their first shift together, and they continue to complete training sessions a few days each month.

There was no particular incident that spurred the addition of Lord to the team, Grove said. Rather, Lord serves as just another way to increase security for the transit system.

“Our motivation for obtaining Lord comes as a result of improvements being made to security since [Sept. 11, 2001],” Grove said. “The Federal Transit Agency is moving toward use of Homeland Security Funding for this type of thing. We’ve had it in mind for a while.”

Port Authority obtained the dog by using grants from the Allegheny County District Attorney’s office and Region 13 Allegheny County Emergency Management. Those grants will also be used for Lord’s further training and maintenance.

“We are pleased to have received these grants and believe this canine unit will be a valuable addition to our force,” said Port Authority Police Chief William McArdle.

Lord’s effects reach beyond Port Authority police. He and O’Malley have occasionally done patrols at Pittsburgh International Airport since they began their partnership. Also, since the city no longer has a bomb squad and relies on Allegheny County’s bomb squad, Lord’s presence could speed up response and recovery for an incident.

Grove cited an early spring incident in which Lord’s presence would have been useful.

“Last spring, a container was found outside the Wood Street station,” he said. “In this day and age, when we find something unattended like that, we have to take the proper precautions.”

The incident occurred at night and forced officials to evacuate the T system, as well as various Downtown streets. It was a false alarm, but, had Lord been there, police could have determined more quickly if the package was dangerous.

Lord lives with O’Malley, making it easier for the pair to respond quickly to an emergency situation. The dog, like any other member of the force, patrols the rail system, bus stops and garages.

The work of a bomb dog, like Lord, is different from the work of a patrol dog or drug dog. While a drug dog learns to pursue and scratch at the scent of drugs, Lord is trained to sit when he smells one of the 15 scents he has learned to identify. The difference in training is logical: if a dog scratches at a bomb, it could detonate. For that reason, canines are never trained in both specialties.

Another specialization in Lord’s training allows him to work in a crowd without being deterred from his job. Much of his training took place on buses or in other crowded areas, teaching him to focus on the task at hand.

Lord won’t be alone for much longer. Port Authority recently purchased a second dog, Orry, who should begin his training within the next month and be on the job by November.