Student Life appoints new Greek adviser

By JESSICA LEAR

After more than four months of searching for a new Fraternity and Sorority Life coordinator,… After more than four months of searching for a new Fraternity and Sorority Life coordinator, the Student Life department released a memo today announcing the appointment of Chris Meaner as the new Greek adviser.

“I am very pleased that we found a very highly qualified person for the position. He comes with a lot of university experience,” Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Director of Student Life Birney Harrigan said.

Meaner has been part of the Pitt community for seven years, first as an undergraduate student, then as a graduate student and professional employee. He holds a bachelor’s degree in pre-med and physical anthropology and a master’s degree in public administration.

Since his sophomore year, Meaner has been a member of Pi Kappa Phi, where he was the community service chair and the scholarship chair.

Before accepting this position – which will begin Aug. 16 – Meaner served as assistant coordinator for the PittStart program, overseeing the registration and orientation of incoming freshman. He also worked for the University as an admissions counselor and the Freshman Peer Counselor coordinator.

Campus leaders seemed pleased with Meaner’s appointment as Greek adviser. Student Government Board President Brian Kelly said that he had a chance to interview Meaner during the hiring process and was “extremely impressed.”

“I think he’ll do a fantastic job. What I really liked is that he’s been here for years now. He’s not going to step into the job and be completely blindsided,” Kelly said.

Kelly also noted that he’s heard “nothing but positive feedback” from other student leaders.

Look for continued coverage of the Greek adviser appointment in The Pitt News’ “Welcome Back” issue.