Notre Dame baseball and Syracuse lacrosse keep winning

Notre Dame baseball wins Big East Championship

For the third straight year, the Notre… Notre Dame baseball wins Big East Championship

For the third straight year, the Notre Dame baseball team left the Big East Championship with the coveted trophy in their possession. The Fighting Irish finished the conference tournament with an 11-5 win over Boston College Saturday.

Notre Dame started their post-season play with a 3-2 win against Boston College, but because of the tournament’s double elimination format, Boston College survived to play the Irish in the final game. After their first game victory, the Irish rolled over St. John’s 9-2.

Pitt did not play Notre Dame in the tournament, but in regular season play the Panthers were 2-0 against the Irish.

Third baseman Matt Macri was named the tournament MVP and pitcher Tom Thornton picked up the win in the final game of the tournament. Thornton pitched seven innings, giving up eight hits while recording three strikeouts

With the win, Notre Dame earned top seeding in the South Bend Regional of the NCAA Tournament. The Irish will play Kent State in the first round Friday.

Syracuse wins ninth NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship

The Syracuse men’s lacrosse team defeated No. 2-seed Navy 14-13 to win its ninth NCAA Lacrosse Championship Monday.

SU goaltender Jay Pfeifer made 15 saves to pick up his ninth postseason win, tying him with a Syracuse goaltender for most postseason wins.

Michael Powell, Syracuse’s all-time leading scorer, finished the game with one goal and five assists.

Navy’s goalkeeper, Matt Russell, left the game with 8:01 remaining in regulation with a dislocated shoulder. Russell gave up 11 goals while in the game. Prior to Monday’s game, Russell had never given up more than 10 goals in a game.

St. John’s earns bid to NCAA Tournament

Despite falling out of the Big East Championship on the heels of a 9-2 loss to Notre Dame and a 6-4 loss to Boston College, the St. John’s baseball team will compete in the NCAA Tournament. The Red Storm defeated the Panthers 4-2 in the first round of the Big East Championship Thursday and took two of three games from Pitt in the regular season.

The Red Storm is now the No. 3 seed in the Palo Alto Regional. They begin play against Long Beach State on Friday.