Ways to escape Oakland, the city and beyond

Recent studies have revealed that, despite the claims of many locals, a world does exist… Recent studies have revealed that, despite the claims of many locals, a world does exist beyond Pittsburgh city limits. Here are just a few of the things to do out there, but feel free to befriend someone with a car and find some more of your own while you explore the great wide expanse.

Kennywood is an amusement park, a mere 10 miles from Downtown Pittsburgh. It features three wooden roller coasters and two steel coasters, along with water rides and more than 20 other major rides. New this year is Garfield’s Nightmare, a slow boat ride with everyone’s favorite feline. For directions and more park information, head to www.kennywood.com.

If coasters aren’t your thing, or if the teacups make you dizzy, maybe you’d enjoy a visit to Fallingwater. Fallingwater is Frank Lloyd Wright’s masterpiece, a house that has become a national landmark. Its marriage of nature and modern design is breathtaking. Fallingwater is on Pennsylvania Route 381 between Mill Run and Ohiopyle, about an hour and a half away.

And speaking of Ohiopyle, why not visit Ohiopyle State Park for some white-water rafting or mountain biking? The park also offers 80 miles of scenic trails for hiking. And in the winter it is open to skiing and snowmobile riding.

If you’re more interested in moving vertically when you’re at the park, McConnell’s Mill State Park is for you. The park holds two climbing and repelling areas for experienced students with their own equipment. It’s located 40 miles north of Pittsburgh. If you’ve never climbed before, perhaps you should hold off on a visit to McConnell’s Mill, but never fear, there’s still more to do out there.

Sandcastle Waterpark is only a 15-minute drive from Downtown Pittsburgh. A great way to beat the heat, or to just blow off some steam, Sandcastle has rides galore. Fire yourself down the Lightning Express, an 85-foot tall waterslide. Or splash your way through Wet Willie’s Water Works before paddling down the Lazy River.

After you dry off, take a trip to see some of Pennsylvania’s most famous fish. Pymatuning State Park is a two-hour drive from Pittsburgh, but if you enjoy camping and fishing its worth it. Pymatuning Lake offers year-round fishing and freakishly high numbers of carp. Head north and bring a map if you’re traveling to Pymatuning.

Pymatuning too far for your tastes? Seven Springs Mountain Resort is only an hour drive southeast of Pittsburgh. Seven Springs rents everything from cabins to condominiums depending on your price bracket. In the summer, you can golf, bike, paddleboat, ride horses, go fly fishing or hike. In the winter, there’s snow tubing, snowmobile tours, sleigh riding and hot tubs to warm you up after a long day outside.

Still not satisfied? What’s that you say? You want loud things and flashing lights? Then peruse the list of upcoming events at the Post-Gazette Pavilion for your favorite artists. The Pavilion houses more than 20,000 fans and this summer will bring acts like Blink-182, Fleetwood Mac, Tim McGraw, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dave Matthews Band, Van Halen and Britney Spears to the area. The Pavilion is 25 miles west of Downtown Pittsburgh in Burgettstown, Pa.

But maybe you don’t like big-name stars or popular music groups. There’s always The Oaks Theater. The Oaks Theater shows films not likely to be found at a typical movie theater for the low, low price of $5. It’s stationed in Oakmont, Pa. To get there, take either the 77A or 78A Port Authority bus.

After you’ve exhausted Pennsylvania’s top prospects, you’re still not finished. Be bold and venture across the state line. Take a day trip to Morgantown and visit West Virginia University, our backyard rival. And Cleveland’s a lot closer than you might think. In less than three hours you could be courtside at a Cavaliers game or studying history, of sorts, at the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame.

That’s all for now, but it’s certainly not everything. Hopefully, at some point, you’ll venture outside of Pittsburgh’s nurturing shell and see what the world has to offer. Just be mindful of the costs and make sure you have reliable transportation in both directions. Make friends with someone who knows the area — or better yet a commuter — and hit the road.