Staying safe and keeping out of trouble around Pitt

Many an eager young freshman can’t wait to partake in all the freedoms and opportunities… Many an eager young freshman can’t wait to partake in all the freedoms and opportunities afforded by college life.

For many freshmen, the first interaction with a University police officer is one of the more memorable of those experiences.

But whether a student gets to know the Pitt police by seeking help, asking a question or stumbling into a kindly officer after one too many cups of beer, it’s important to remember that the Pitt police work hard to keep students safe.

According to Pitt Police Chief Tim Delaney, the secrets to safety involve using caution, maintaining awareness and making intelligent choices.

“It’s your common sense,” Delaney said. “We’re not an island; we’re not in a bubble.”

Simple safety practices, such as traveling in pairs, staying in well-lit areas and knowing the surrounding people in a social scene, can cut down on the number of uncomfortable situations in which students find themselves.

Delaney also recommended avoiding potentially dangerous areas, in which students might find themselves far from help, should they need it. Poorly lit streets, isolated areas, parks or vacant lots can be hazards late at night.

“In any environment, if you’re looking for action at three in the morning, you will find it — or it will find you,” Delaney said.

While Pitt’s urban location might seem intimidating to some new students, Delaney said that crimes happen everywhere, on city and rural campuses alike. Students don’t need to avoid the city — and miss out on all of Pittsburgh’s social and cultural opportunities in the process — to keep out of dangerous situations. Whether on campus or Downtown, students must remain mindful of the people and streets around them, Delaney said.

Crime doesn’t just happen on dark streets or in empty lots. Delaney reminded students not to leave open drinks unattended at parties. If a drink has been left out of a student’s sight, the best idea is to dispose of it and get a new one, he explained.

Moreover, Delaney emphasized the safety of the University area, provided students stay aware. Both Pitt police and city-commissioned officers patrol Oakland at all hours of the day and night, keeping an eye on things. Recent cuts and changes to the city’s police force have altered the organization of city officers in Oakland, but the area remains well patrolled. Though any area around Pitt can be the scene of a crime, students heeding the advice of Pitt police can take precautions to remain safe.

Should trouble arise around campus, the police can be reached on one of about 330 emergency phones scattered around campus and marked by the blue lights perched on top. While important for students who run into trouble or feel endangered around campus, the emergency phones are also handy for students in any situation: the phone box can be used for any 5-digit university number, including university offices and dorm rooms. Students with emergencies can also call 911, or 811 from campus phones. The police are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“When you don’t know what to do, call the police,” Delaney said.

Citing underage drinkers constitutes only one part of what the Pitt police do, but it’s an important part of their job, and a rather unpleasant, expensive way for freshmen to begin their experiences at Pitt.

According to Delaney, the most common reason that students wind up in trouble with Pitt police is alcohol. Pitt police practice a zero-tolerance policy, meaning that any amount of underage drinking, no matter how small, has consequences. For a first-time offense, a student receives a citation and a fine of as much as $500. The police won’t notify your parents for many offenses, but they might mail the bill to your folks. With each further infraction, the consequences become more severe.

“I want them to have fun, but at the same time, they have to think about what they’re doing,” Delaney said.