Licorice- the candy that “makes mouths happy”

By AMANDA WALTZ Staff Writer

The licorice consumers of this great nation have been deceived. All these years of chomping… The licorice consumers of this great nation have been deceived. All these years of chomping down on what was thought to be the chewy confection has been revealed as the consumption of nothing other than anise, a popular substitute flavoring used by American candy companies. How could they deny their sugar hungry patrons the rights to the extract of that sweet licorice root?

It’s time to make up for all those years of candy forgery. And thanks to Licorice International, Inc. and the National Confectioners Association, that time has come in the form of April 12, also recognized as National Licorice Day.

Celebrating the day of this wonderful extract, which is used as flavoring in food, tobacco, alcohol and cosmetics, starts with a visit to the Web site of Licorice International, Inc.

Since its founding in 2002, the site has offered the largest selection of licorice candy in the United States, all of it made with the extract of the licorice root. One can choose from nearly 100 types of licorice from 13 countries. From Holland, a country where one person indulges in 5 pounds of the candy per year, one can order Beehive Honey Licorice, which is made with real honey, or indulge in some Black Strawberry Licorice. There is even sugar-free licorice, or, if your taste buds crave something different, salt-flavored licorice from Finland. Who knew that the licorice plant, which is essentially a weed, could produce such a variety of treats?

For National Licorice Day, one should also consider the health benefits of the candy. Since the 14th century, the root’s extract has been used to soothe respiratory ailments, such as bronchitis and the everyday cough and cold. On the site, for example, one can order a tin of Lakerol, a Swedish licorice pastille that includes menthol, but leaves out the sugar found in other cough soothers.

Research has also shown that licorice can relieve pain associated with certain types of ulcers and is very beneficial for the adrenal glands. Recently, an assistant professor of food sciences at Rutgers Cook College found that certain molecules in licorice can even help to stop the growth of both breast and prostate cancer cells. This is not unusual, considering the Chinese have used the licorice root for years to subdue cancer.

So on April 12, exercise your right as a licorice lover. Take a few minutes to stop at the Licorice International, Inc. Web site and order one of their many licorice variety baskets. If not, try finding a box of the American-made Good ‘ Plentys at the local candy shop. Not only are these treats good, but also they’re good for you (sorry for the tired cliche).