Pitt washes away Kent State

By JOE MARCHILENA

A steady rain and a chill breeze couldn’t cool off P.J. Hiser’s bat, as he helped lead the… A steady rain and a chill breeze couldn’t cool off P.J. Hiser’s bat, as he helped lead the Pitt baseball team to a 3-1 win over Kent State in five innings on Wednesday.

Hiser went two-for-two, including the game-winning two-run home run in the bottom of the fourth inning for the Panthers (15-4) — his team-leading ninth round-tripper of the season.

Pitt starting pitcher Paul Nardozzi pitched four innings, striking out three and walking two, while allowing one run on four hits to pick up his second win of the season. Evan Smith picked up the loss for Kent State despite having retired seven Panthers in a row at one point.

“It’s a matter of getting a feel for the other pitcher,” Pitt head coach Joe Jordano said. “When you’re in a situation that you have a feel for who’s on the mound, you can take some good hacks.”

Pitt freshman second baseman Jim Negrych singled up the middle to lead off Pitt’s half of the fourth inning to become the Panthers’ first base runner since the first inning. The single extended Negrych’s hitting streak to 11 games.

After taking a ball, Hiser — who was named Big East Player of the Week last week — drilled Smith’s next pitch to left field. Kent State left fielder Chad Kinyon took a few steps towards the fence before watching Hiser’s shot sail out of the park, giving Pitt a 3-1 lead.

“[Hiser] had a timely hit and it ended up being the difference in the game,” Jordano said. “He’s been great, obviously a valuable member for our team as a hitter and a pitcher.”

The Golden Flashes opened up the scoring in the top of the first inning. With one out, Kent State centerfielder Chuck Moore doubled to right, just out of the reach of Peter Parise. Moore advanced to third on a wild pitch by Nardozzi.

One pitch later, Kinyon flied out to right, allowing Moore to tag and score, giving the Golden Flashes an early 1-0 lead.

The Panthers responded in their half of the inning.

Centerfielder Ben Copeland led off the inning with a single to right field. After Copeland stole second, Parise followed with a single that snuck past second baseman Andrew Davis, allowing Copeland to score.

After Negrych popped up to third, Hiser dropped a single just in front of a sliding Eric Holick in shallow right field, advancing Parise to second. Pitt had two runners on base and only one out, but Smith was able to get out of the jam, forcing Tom Cashman to hit into a double play.

Kent State threatened in the top of the fourth. With one out, Adam Crowder dropped a single into shallow left centerfield. Holick followed by drawing a walk and Nardozzi loaded the bases by hitting Todd Balduf.

Emmannuel Burriss worked the count to three-and-two with one out before hitting a line drive right at Pitt shortstop Jimmy Mayer.

Mayer flipped the ball to Negrych at second, doubling up Holick and helping Pitt get out of the inning unscathed.

Both teams went down in order to complete the fifth inning and they tried to get through the sixth before the umpires called the game.

“It was the right decision [by the umpires] to stop it at the spot that we did,” said Jordano. “Right now, home plate is under water. When the turf is wet, it becomes a faster game. You try to keep it dry but that’s a difficult thing in a steady rain.”

Pitt starts a three-game series with Boston College on Saturday with a doubleheader beginning at noon at Trees Field. The Panthers and Eagles will wrap up the series on Sunday with game time set for noon.