Pitt wrestling wins first match of season

By Chris Puzia / Sports Editor

Pitt wrestling started its season Sunday with a road match at Bloomsburg University. While the season was just beginning, the team seemed to have no trouble focusing on Bloomsburg despite Pitt’s upcoming match against No. 10 Edinboro.

Pitt, which entered the season ranked No. 14 in the nation, defeated Bloomsburg 35-3, losing only one bout in the whole match.

Pitt redshirt senior Max Thomusseit won the 184-pound bout. He entered the season with a 66-26 career record, including a 21-4 record last season.

Freshman Dom Forys began the match at the 125-pound weight class and won his first collegiate bout from a 22-6 technical fall. Pitt’s only loss came in the 141-pound bout, when Bloomsburg’s Tanner Cahill beat freshman Ben Ross, 9-3.

Pitt redshirt freshman Nick Zanetta won in a one-minute overtime over Andy Schulz of Bloomsburg with a takedown to win the bout 6-4

“Some young guys performed well for their first time out,” Pitt head coach Jason Peters said via a press release. “It was a good way to get the season started.”

Bloomsburg, which lost nine of its starters to graduation last year, finished last season with a 9-8 overall record.

For the fifth straight season, Pitt began the season ranked in the National Wrestling Coaches Association top-25 poll. Last season it entered the season ranked No. 15 and finished that season 13-3, with a 6-0 ACC record.

Pitt next plays at No. 10 Edinboro University Thursday in a top-15 matchup.