Concert means more than a song for Greeks

By NIKKI SCHWAB

It was all out of brotherly and sisterly love.

The brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon joined… It was all out of brotherly and sisterly love.

The brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon joined forces with the sisters of Delta Delta Delta and held a benefit concert on Thursday night, with proceeds going to Habitat for Humanity.

Zeta Beta Tau brother Zeke Lim coordinated the event with the other two Greek organizations because his fraternity could not sponsor any fundraising events because of their probationary status with the University.

“Since my house wasn’t allowed to be part of planning the show, I had to take my idea to SAE and [Delta Delta Delta],” Lim said. “They were all for helping me out.”

Lim explained that ZBT had held benefit concerts in the past, but this concert was the first of its kind because several Greek organizations came together to hold the event.

“Overall, the feeling is that we’re trying to work to establish better relationships in the Greek community,” SAE President Justin Meservie said. “We thought this would be a great opportunity to do that.

Sister Tracie O’Meara, of Delta Delta Delta, was in charge of the concert for her sorority. O’Meara said there were several reasons that the sorority decided to work with Lim, SAE and Habitat for Humanity.

“First, it was a great way to get along with other groups in the Greek community,” she said. She added that a Delta Delta Delta sister’s father worked for Habitat for Humanity as a career.

“It was a great chance to do something a sister was so closely oriented with,” O’Meara said.

First to take the stage on Thursday was the Meyer-Uhler band that played an acoustic set. Musical groups Bonus and Yves Jean Band also performed. Break dancers from Caution Crew danced between sets with R’B singer Ambition on vocals. DJ Poochie La Fever also made an appearance.

“The show went really well, we’ve talked about doing it again in the fall,” Lim said. He explained that the fall rendition would be better planned and would come when students are not so busy with finals.

Meservie, however, thought the concert came at an appropriate time of year.

“It’s a good break from studying,” Meservie said.