Eat your heart out, Justin – this *NYYNC star is way better

By SHANI ALSTON

Schizophrenic

JC Chasez

Jive Records

Recommended if…

Schizophrenic

JC Chasez

Jive Records

Recommended if you like: Former boy band pop stars taking risks

Forget the late-’90s teen pop backlash; there’s no pinning this one down.

JC Chasez’s debut solo album, Schizophrenic, is a rowdy, raunchy collection of songs that catapults the former *NSYNC singer out of any lingering boy band pop image he may have. Instead of singing to the teenagers of America about promises of everlasting love, Chasez tackles one-night stands, sex in different positions and masturbation, as well as other fun and racy topics. And instead of sticking to one genre, as former fellow bandmate Justin Timberlake did with the R’B/pop album Justified, Chasez can hardly find a category that will contain all of his different songs.

Chasez takes more risks with his solo album than Timberlake, stepping completely out of any shadow he might be under from his days with *NSYNC. He co-wrote almost all of the tracks on the album, and his unique style comes through. “100 Ways” starts with an enthusiastic guitar riff that emphasizes the rock/pop feel of the song. Another rocking track, “If You Were My Girl,” plays with guitars and thumping drums along with the synthesizer in the background.

The songs on the album have been influenced by all kinds of music. “Shake It” samples a popular ’70s song. A little bit of reggae is nice to hear in one of the more intense tracks, “Everything You Want.” Chasez keeps the lyrics simple but still meaningful. There’s a real focus on the music, in contrast to the over-produced songs found on popular albums today that keep the chorus pumping until the song dramatically ends. Chasez slows things down and leaves time for the instruments to show off, ad-lib and frame his voice.

The ballads on the album are a nice complement to the high-energy tracks without lacking in their own appeal. They focus on more than mindless romance; they also have themes of heartache and longing. “Dear Goodbye” is especially powerful, with its simple melody and the focus on the words of the song, “a love defeated.” “Build My World” is a melancholy story for anyone who might relate to the lyrics “Someone for everyone/But no one for me.” When the tempo slows down, the songs are still worth listening to.

Chasez experiments with unusual topics in his songs, as well as non-standard beats. “Come to Me” has an otherworldly feel to it, enhanced by the pulsing keyboards in the background as Chasez sings about missing a lover. He doesn’t shy away from controversial topics such as drugs; his album has many sexual lyrics and a few noises that are quite common on cable channels late at night. These frank expressions of sexuality don’t cheapen the album. Instead, it helps the album come across as more honest. The references are no worse than the typical music video on MTV. What little shock value it contains comes from Chasez’s squeaky-clean image he maintained in *NSYNC, and the music business is clearly over that.

With all of this experimentation, there are bound to be a few tracks that do not quite work. “All Day Long I Dream About Sex,” a song that is mostly a monotone chant that repeats the title over and over again, is only saved by the techno dance instrumental break in the middle that lasts almost three minutes. “Something Special” is overpowered by the handclaps, and the country music feel doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the material. Still, the album is strong even with these minor setbacks. It’s obvious that a lot of work was put into the album.

Schizophrenic is a solo album that traverses musical genres and styles, and will appeal to a variety of audiences. JC Chasez can thank *NSYNC for putting him in the spotlight, but this is wholly his album. With music different from most out there today, Chasez forges new ground and is well on the way to making a name for himself as a solo artist.

If you’re looking for a strong album with a rich variety of music by one person breaking away from the pack, Schizophrenic is it.