Losing three NFC Championships worked for Philly

By JIMMY JOHNSON Staff Writer

Philadelphians have been in a state of depression for the past three years — I know this… Philadelphians have been in a state of depression for the past three years — I know this because I call the City of Brotherly Love home.

The Eagles have lost three straight NFC Championships and have on great criticism for choking from the media and fans.

But could three years of choking have been what Philadelphia needed?

Terrell Owens said in a press conference last Wednesday, after being acquired by Philadelphia, that it was the interactions he had between coaches and players on the Eagles that made him want to throw on a green jersey. These interactions were all made possible by their losing.

Let me explain.

There is only one perk to losing in the conference championship game, and that is that the coaching staff of the team gets to travel to Hawaii to coach the Pro Bowl team from their respective conferences.

Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid has been the coach of the NFC Pro Bowl team for the past three years as result of three NFC Championship losses.

This fact has allowed Owens to play for Reid and work with his coaching staff three years in a row. The time spent together in Hawaii allowed Owens to see how the Eagles’ organization runs.

In addition, Eagle quarterback Donovan McNabb attended the past four Pro Bowls and played in three. He even connected with Owens for touchdowns in the 2001 and the 2002 Pro Bowls.

Owens also chose the Eagles because of the style of offense. Reid runs the West Coast offense, which Owens is both familiar and comfortable with. All these things combined, it seems like losing three years in a row isn’t so bad after all.

Especially since Philadelphia hasn’t exactly been losing. They’ve won more games than any other team in the NFL in the past three years. And they just won big time by signing Owens to a seven-year, $42 million deal — only losing a fifth-round draft pick to the Baltimore Ravens and a defensive tackle, Hollis Thomas to the San Francisco 49ers.

With McNabb’s 12-year, $115 million deal he signed in 2002 not running out any time soon, these two Pro Bowl players can hook up for touchdowns until the year 2011.

This could open the door for something that has not been seen in a while: an actual football dynasty, much like the last couple each headed by quarterback-wide receiver hook ups like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice of the 49ers and Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin of the Dallas Cowboys.

“To put him right in that mix with the other receivers and tight ends and running backs, and the support that our offensive linemen give us and then obviously Donovan– I just think it presents itself to be an explosive package,” Reid said at the press conference last Wednesday.

The mix of McNabb and Owens can prove to be one of the best quarterback-wide receiver combinations in the past 10 years.

“It’s chemistry in the making,” Owens said, in reference to his relationship with McNabb. “I’m excited to be here and to play with D-Mac.”

Owens also commented on how his off-the-field troubles will not become a distraction in Philadelphia. He looks at this as a new beginning for him, and it is.

He is out of the organization, the 49ers, which he has clashed with for the past couple years. And he now has a chance to start over.

“Right now, I have a clean rap sheet , so to speak,” Owens said.

And so does Philadelphia.

The lost NFC Championship games are now forgotten, just as Owens’ Sharpie incident is the talk of yesterday.

It’s a new beginning for Owens, for the Eagles and for the passionate fans of Philadelphia.

Jimmy Johnson is a staff writer for The Pitt News and he likes onions and a little T.O. on his Philly cheesesteak.