More than a few punks

By AMANDA WALTZ Staff Writer

The sound of the Boston-based band The Lot Six has been likened to “… a three-way death… The sound of the Boston-based band The Lot Six has been likened to “… a three-way death match between The Beatles, the Jesus Lizard and the Pixies” by Alternative Press magazine. This March, the publication has also listed the band in the “100 Bands You Need to Know in 2004.” That’s a pretty big accomplishment for the five members, who didn’t release any music until 2002 with the companion albums Gwylo and Animals.

According to the San Francisco Examiner, The Lot Six is “unlike the scores of affected indie rockers making the rounds…” This might be because of the band’s method of piecing together different types of genres within its music.

Since 1999, the band’s frantic punk energy, coupled with a honky-tonk country flavor, has garnered fans from New York to the South. Their signature sound is most apparent in their recent album, the 2003-released Major Fables.

The 10 tracks range from fast punk-scream fests like “Autobrats” and “Out of Control” to “My Baby’s Gone,” a ballad that sounds like something out of a Willie Nelson songbook. The album even features tracks that play with a slow reggae guitar — “Go to Sleep” — and the harsh, walkie-talkie vocals reminiscent of The Strokes — “X-Rayted.”

As of this spring, The Lot Six embarks on a nationwide tour. On March 28, the band will hit Pittsburgh, playing some of its high-energy music at Club Laga. For more information, call (412) 687-4636.