Fu: award-winning doctor

By CHRISTINE CLAUS

In any sport, injuries occur, and occur often.

Here at Pitt, when an athlete has an… In any sport, injuries occur, and occur often.

Here at Pitt, when an athlete has an injury, the athletics department calls on Dr. Freddie Fu.

From Brandon Miree’s stress fracture to Julius Page’s ankle problems, Fu was there, offering medical advice and treatment.

Fu has been the chairman of and a professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Pitt’s School of Medicine and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center since 1997.

Born in Hong Kong, Fu came to Pittsburgh in 1975 to attend medical school at Pitt. He then joined Pitt’s faculty staff in 1982.

“I felt like I really had a place here at Pitt,” Fu said, remarking on how he loved the people of Pittsburgh. “I cannot find people better than the people of Pittsburgh.”

Fu has also been the head team physician for Pitt’s athletics department since 1986, working with both the men’s and women’s sports teams.

Working out of the UPMC Center for Sports Medicine, located on the South Side, Fu said the facility is one of the largest and most comprehensive sports medical clinics, “giving people another reason to be proud of Pittsburgh once again.”

Known worldwide for his surgical techniques in treating sports-related injuries, Fu specializes in the biomechanics of knee and shoulder injuries.

“I enjoy my job. It’s truly rewarding to know you’ve made a successful difference, because the health care business is changing all the time, and that can be difficult [to adjust to],” Fu said.

Most challenging to Fu is pushing further in research projects, such as training young doctors, doing field research, performing teen therapy and working on robotic surgery, he said.

Fu worked with Mt. Lebanon High School in the mid-90s and liked that he got the opportunity to see most of western Pennsylvania. Today, he still gets to see some of the students he met there.

“It gave me a very touching feeling to see the people I once took care of [now] all grown up as successful adults,” Fu said.

Because of Fu’s reputation, he attracts both athletic and non-athletic patients from around the globe.

Fu wanted to help out in the Pittsburgh community and started volunteering for events and causes throughout the city.

This past Feb. 28, Fu was awarded the 2003 Community Service Award at the Pittsburgh Men and Women of the Year Awards. He received the award for his ongoing involvement in fundraisers, charities and volunteer work throughout the community.

“I want to give back to the community where I live, and I don’t expect any reward,” Fu said humbly.

Fu now volunteers for the WQED Children’s Festival Chorus, the Make-A-Wish Foundation and works to promote the arts in Pittsburgh. He is also the chairman of the board and has served as the executive medical director of the City of Pittsburgh Marathon, Inc. since 1985.

Fu has served as honorary chairman for various functions of the Pittsburgh Employment Alliance and the Parental Stress Center and is an active member of the Organization of Chinese Americans, as well.

Fu stressed how important it is to support the city of Pittsburgh and its community, especially the arts.

“Our city needs all the help it can get. It’s important for community members to get out and volunteer and promote our community as much as they can,” Fu said.