Mellow band Dolorean quietly storms into Pittsburgh

By AMANDA WALTZ Staff Writer

Since the 2003 release of its first full-length album Not Exotic, the style of the Portland,… Since the 2003 release of its first full-length album Not Exotic, the style of the Portland, Ore.-based band Dolorean has been compared to the late Elliott Smith by such publications as The New York Times. According to a review in the Rolling Stone, the album “wallows in rich melodies rooted in traditional American music.” This is no surprise, since the down-to-earth strumming of the acoustic guitar and mellow vocals of lead singer Alex James embody a spirit reminiscent of many indie-rock songwriters. This spirit defines the band’s debut album, which goes from the sleepy cello music of “Morningwatch” to the creepily sad “Hannibal, Mo.,” a song about a double-suicide attempt gone wrong.

Dolorean was first formed by guitarist Alex James and keyboardist Jay Clarke in 1999 when the two recorded the unreleased EP Sudden Oak. In 2001, after a few years of playing Portland’s club scene, the pair added drummer Ben Nugent and bassist James Adair to the band and decided it was time to record a serious album. The band set up in Jackpot! Studios and recorded for a mere five days, just enough time to accumulate the nine deeply personal tracks on Not Exotic.

This melancholy music is perfect for any fan of such musicians as Smith, Neil Young or Wilco. The band is now on a nationwide tour and plans on recording a second album in the fall of 2004.

Dolorean brings its heartfelt music to Pittsburgh with a stop at the Quiet Storm on Thursday. For more information, call (412) 661-9355.